CLI Tool for Inclusive Language

Maurice Evans

May 6, 2021, 8:52:43 AM5/6/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi all!

I work for a company that's primary focus is identifying vulnerabilities in code - focusing on secrets in code like tokens, keys, IDs, passwords etc. (as well as other vulnerabilities).  Because of the way our solution works it was really simple for us to introduce the idea of searching for sensitive language as well.

We have a free version that includes a Command Line Interface (CLI) tool that allows developers (or anyone that uses GitHub) to catch these sensitive words before they are committed to repositories.  I would love to demonstrate this in one of the bi-weekly meetings and get some community feedback.  I have access to the agenda doc, but didn't want to overstep (by just adding myself in).  Could someone let me know, 1) if it's ok to add line items to the agenda, and 2) would this be the appropriate forum / use of meeting time?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Best,
Maurice

Also, if anyone would like to try out the tool it can be found here:  https://blubracket.com/blubracket-community-edition/

Larry and Hillary Kunz

May 11, 2021, 10:36:40 AM5/11/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi, Maurice. I don't speak for everyone -- but, personally, I think it would be great to see a demo of your tool during the bi-weekly meeting.

Best,
Larry Kunz

JayaShree Arunkumar

May 11, 2021, 11:20:05 AM5/11/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
I would love to have the demo.

JayaShree Arunkumar

May 11, 2021, 11:20:13 AM5/11/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
I am in

Maurice Evans

May 11, 2021, 11:35:53 AM5/11/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi all,

Great to hear!  I'm working with Celeste and Priyanka right now and am planning to give them a demo next week.  After that they were thinking of potentially squeezing me into the bi-weekly meeting for a demo to the wider group.
Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Maurice

Lindsay Nuon

May 11, 2021, 2:23:32 PM5/11/21
to Maurice Evans, Inclusive Naming Initiative

I second that! Judging by the responses I think there's enough interest to get the demo on the agenda.

On a separate but related note there was recently a conversation taking place around creating space for tooling related (cataloging, evaluating, etc.) work by either expanding the scope of an existing workstream or potentially creating a new one. I'll see where this landed and how best we can move forward Maurice, but FWIW I'm really looking forward to seeing this and appreciate your suggestion.

Lindsay Nuon | Technical Program Manager, SPMA | ln...@google.com | +1 669-264-4925

CONFIDENTIALITY. This communication is intended only for the use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
dissemination of this communication is prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message,
including all attachments, and please also notify the sender immediately.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Maurice Evans

May 11, 2021, 7:28:25 PM5/11/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi Lindsay and all,

I really like the idea of having a space for tool related feedback.  This would be really helpful for people that are trying to developer tools, like myself, and want to find some kind of standard.
Very much looking forward to getting feedback on the tool, and potentially ideas on the content that it could identify.

Thanks!
Maurice

Olivia Voils

May 12, 2021, 10:13:41 PM5/12/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Does the Slack channel #ws-community-and-tooling represent the space and group for tool-related feedback and discussion?

Stephen Augustus (augustus)

May 12, 2021, 10:31:37 PM5/12/21
to Olivia Voils, inclusi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Olivia,

We're in the process of merging the "Open Source" and "Community + Tooling" workstreams!

-- Stephen

May 17, 2021, 3:59:23 PM5/17/21
to Michael Shomsky, Stephen Augustus (augustus), Olivia Voils, inclusi...@googlegroups.com

JayaShree Arunkumar

May 20, 2021, 11:29:30 AM5/20/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Team,

Hope I didnt miss the demo.  Please can you let me know when is it scheduled?

Maurice Evans

May 20, 2021, 12:14:48 PM5/20/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi JayaShree,

We're still working out the date on this one, but hopefully within the next one or two meetings.  Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks!
Maurice

JayaShree Arunkumar

May 20, 2021, 3:34:54 PM5/20/21
to Maurice Evans, Inclusive Naming Initiative
Thank you so much Maurice.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Inclusive Naming Initiative" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/inclusivenaming/15c03d9b-e834-4a0d-b5e0-69adae146869n%40googlegroups.com.

JayaShree Arunkumar

Jun 15, 2021, 8:12:04 AM6/15/21
to Maurice Evans, Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi Team

Would like to know if the tool demo has been planned.

Thank you

Maurice Evans

Jun 15, 2021, 10:24:59 AM6/15/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi Jayashree,

We're holding off until we get the library from the team.  We'll implement the library and then use that in the demo.  We are using our own library now, but thought it would be better to demo identifying the words and then suggesting substitutions from the Inclusive Language library.  I'll respond here as soon as we have it scheduled.

Thanks!
Maurice

Michael Shomsky

Jun 15, 2021, 11:07:37 AM6/15/21
to JayaShree Arunkumar, Maurice Evans, Inclusive Naming Initiative
Certainly working remotely has enabled us to work across time-zone boundaries. Perhaps instead of a single demo meeting, there can be a simple ~1 minute shared video demo without comments enabled + a shared doc that can collect comments in a way that is helpful and mindful of the sensitivity of this topic.

Maurice, we know that the list of words is going to change, so I was hoping that the CLI tool would pull down a versioned list of words.  Perhaps a question I should save for after the demo.  Clearly there's much interest in it.