INI Year One: End of year review

celeste.e.horgan

Dec 13, 2021, 12:16:51 PM12/13/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hello folks!

INI is at the end of it's first year now, and we'd like to gather some feedback:

  1. What went well? What do you think the initiative did well and where did we succeed?
  2. What went poorly? Where could we improve?
  3. What would you like to see us focus on in 2022?

All feedback is appreciated and we're happy to receive it here or privately - feel free to reach out to me directly if you'd like to express anything in private, or to respond here!

Regards,
Celeste Horgan

dudu ok

Dec 14, 2021, 11:53:51 AM12/14/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi Celeste,
Unfortunately, I could not attend and contribute much as remaining exist in the Engineering field as a "they" already took my life force for a while.
I can just think of focusing more on inspiring "high level" managements of companies to trigger the change of mindset as unfortunately, most the places are still highly hierarchic.
Thanks,
Enjoy your evening
Dudu

Priyanka Sharma

Dec 15, 2021, 5:00:29 AM12/15/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hello, Celeste (and others!),

Thank you for sending out this email and seeking feedback. Here are my thoughts:

  • What went well? What do you think the initiative did well and where did we succeed?
  • => P: IMHO we had some key successes this year.
  • We launched INI and got sponsors to back us! As of now, we have Cisco, Intel, and Red Hat as corporate sponsors and the Center for Democracy & Technology, and the Continuous Delivery Foundation as non-profit sponsors. I appreciate their expression of support and think there is a lot more folx who will join in to back us in the new year.
  • The language lists are on a tear! Led by Celeste, we now have a tiered set of language lists. The number of recommendations we are evaluating and assigning to each of these lists (or not) is moving at an accelerating clip and that is a big accomplishment. The lists we produce are our biggest value prop and the community relies on us for them. Our success here is the basis for any further activity we would like to pursue as a group
  • In the same realm of language lists, I would like to applaud Carla and Celeste's collaboration to bring IBM's lists to the foundation. This is an example of leveraging the community, the great work done by others, and moving fast for our ultimate goal of helping the ecosystem determine and remove harmful terminology from technology
  • What went poorly? Where could we improve?
  • => P: I think there are some lessons we learned and some areas where we can improve for the new year. I take these as lessons for myself as much as for the whole group and I hope no one takes this list as an affront to their particular effort. It is not intended as such!
  • Too much complexity too soon:
  • IMO, with the best of intentions, we tried to create a comprehensive governance structure for INI. This structure, while well thought out to be inclusive, did not take into consideration the fact that we are a budding community and are not yet established enough to be able to pull in people to spend lots of time on different aspects of governance and community management. From conversations with some of the workstream leads, it looks like we will make a concerted effort to spin up what we need and pare down the complexity
  • Trying to do too much simultaneously:
  • In a similar vein as the above point, I think we spun up lots of workstreams with many ideas of the things we wanted to do. However, it seems like over time some groups have made strides and others have lagged. That is a completely acceptable and perhaps even expected situation. This provides us the opportunity to streamline our efforts. The advice I gave Celeste was to put as much as possible of her energies on the language workstream which is the basis of all our efforts and already showing great results

  • What would you like to see us focus on in 2022?
  • => P:
  • Language lists! I would love to see us collaborate with more folx like Carla and bring in different organizations' lists
  • Promoting said lists. It will be nice to promote our thoughts around these lists to a wider audience via social media, speaking opportunities, and press
  • Recruiting more sponsors. Doing so will allow us the budget to get some professional project management help and if the numbers align, even a part-time executive director

Thank you so much to everyone for collaborating on this effort. I am here to support you in any way I can. Hope you will all have a lovely holiday and a happy new year!

Best wishes,

Libby Meren

Dec 20, 2021, 12:00:07 PM12/20/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi All,

I want to own my lack of involvement: I wish I'd been able to participate more actively. Part of my EOY reflection and thinking about next year is how I can show up for the things I want to do, and set boundaries around some of my responsibilities which eat into that precious time.

I agree with the statements above: I think it's been a great year with real progress, and there are things to do to help going forwards. I also think it's a good time for this effort: there's more and more focus on inclusivity and language. Which should in turn lead to more support - funding or participants (or both). It's making me wonder whether there should be a part of this initiative focused on external relationships - 'recruiting' supporters?

I hope everyone has a safe and happy year, and gets some time to recover and renew.

Cheers,

Libby

Julian Cable

Dec 28, 2021, 1:23:57 PM12/28/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hi Celeste,

Thank you for requesting end-of-year review feedback.

The Inclusive Naming Initiative is doing such important work in formulating guidance to help everyone to become much more conscious in the use of language.

My own participation in the latter part of the year has been woefully slim, due mainly to the fact that all the meetings fall outside my working hours and I have encountered ever-increasing conflicts with other commitments and activities.

Going forward into 2022, I think that the best way for me to contribute is asynchronously, most of the time. I'm happy to review and and comment on proposed language term guidance, from an editorial and content perspective, and (when ready) to help to organise the inputs into a consolidated list ready for publishing.

Wishing everyone a good holiday season,
Julian