Workshop on problematic jargon in STEM

Herbers, Joan

Apr 13, 2021, 1:22:08 PM4/13/21
to inclusi...@googlegroups.com

I was delighted to read of your group in the NYT today and ask if you would be willing to support a related initiative.

I am co-PI on the ARC Network (equityinstem.org), a large project funded by the National Science Foundation at WEPAN. We are now starting to plan for a workshop on problematic jargon in STEM, to be held late this year (covid willing), and your work fits squarely within that effort. This workshop will be completely funded by the NSF grant, including participant support.

Our goal is to bring together practitioners (scientists and engineers) with historians, psychologists, sociologists, and rhetoricians. Over two days of facilitated discussions, we aim to develop a shared understanding of how metaphors work in STEM communication, how they can act to impede social justice, and how to effectively counter resistance to change in entrenched jargon. The outcome will be a position paper co-authored by participants that outlines those topics as well as suggests the most important research questions moving forward.

In particular, we are hopeful you can identify a representative to join the planning committee. This committee will meet 3-4 times in the coming months to identify potential workshop participants and develop the workshop agenda.

I hope this opportunity interests your group, and you can identify an individual to work with us. Thank you for your consideration.

Joan Herbers

Professor and Dean Emeritus

Ohio State University

Joanna Lee

Apr 15, 2021, 10:15:35 PM4/15/21
to Herbers, Joan, inclusi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joan,

Thank you so much for your message and interest.  It's great to hear about the workshop on problematic issues in STEM that the ARC Network is planning.  Thanks for your work to educate and raise awareness about inclusive communication.

INI leadership will discuss how we can best support your efforts and get back to you.

Kind regards,

Joanna Lee
Partner
Pronouns: she/her
Gesmer Updegrove LLP
707 SW Washington St.
Suite 1100
Portland, OR 97205
Direct: 617.531.8317
Apr 26, 2021, 3:52:02 PM4/26/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative

Hi Joan,

Could we get a bit more information on the dates and times of the event and who else is speaking?

Cheers,
Celeste

Stephen Augustus

Apr 26, 2021, 4:00:03 PM4/26/21
to celeste.e.horgan, p...@inclusivenaming.org, le...@inclusivenaming.org
(Moving this to leads+PR lists)

Herbers, Joan

Jun 13, 2021, 4:40:39 PM6/13/21
to Joanna Lee, inclusi...@googlegroups.com

I am circling back to inquire whether participating in our workshop remains of interest. We are revving up planning, and would love to have a representative from your group involved.

Let me know if I can answer any questions,

Joan

Larry Kunz

Jun 17, 2021, 9:59:50 AM6/17/21
to Inclusive Naming Initiative
Hello, Joan. Yes, we're interested in this. I'm sorry that the replies to your original post might not have reached you.

We'd like to know a bit more about the event: Is it a conference format or a series of facilitated discussions? If a conference, what are some of the major topics being covered? Who else is speaking? Do you know the dates and times?

For now, feel free to use me as your primary contact in INI. If I find that I'm not the best person to be involved with this, I'll try to find someone whose background and interests are a good match.

Larry Kunz
Information Architect
Extreme Networks