Issue 1263 in include-what-you-use: Path/file name limit in IWYU?

1 view

notifi...@include-what-you-use.org

May 29, 2023, 10:55:05 AM5/29/23
to include-wh...@googlegroups.com
New issue 1263 by carlosgalvezp: Path/file name limit in IWYU?
https://github.com/include-what-you-use/include-what-you-use/issues/1263

Hi!

We believe we have found an issue where IWYU provides unexpected results on files that have a too long name / path - IWYU confuses them with other files. The problem is solved by shortening the file names. It kind of feels that IWYU is capping the file name at a given length, and by doing that some files that had a unique name receive the same truncated named.

Does IWYU have some hardcoded limit on the file name, and if so could it be extended?

Thanks!

notifi...@include-what-you-use.org

May 29, 2023, 11:57:07 AM5/29/23
to include-wh...@googlegroups.com
Comment #1 on issue 1263 by kimgr: Path/file name limit in IWYU?
https://github.com/include-what-you-use/include-what-you-use/issues/1263

What platform is this?

notifi...@include-what-you-use.org

May 29, 2023, 12:07:41 PM5/29/23
to include-wh...@googlegroups.com
Comment #2 on issue 1263 by carlosgalvezp: Path/file name limit in IWYU?
https://github.com/include-what-you-use/include-what-you-use/issues/1263

Ubuntu 20.04

notifi...@include-what-you-use.org

May 29, 2023, 12:29:35 PM5/29/23
to include-wh...@googlegroups.com
Comment #3 on issue 1263 by kimgr: Path/file name limit in IWYU?
https://github.com/include-what-you-use/include-what-you-use/issues/1263

Interesting. I'm not aware of any static filename limits in IWYU, and I'd be somewhat surprised if LLVM/Clang had them. Do you know what the length cutoff point is?

notifi...@include-what-you-use.org

May 30, 2023, 3:09:39 AM5/30/23
to include-wh...@googlegroups.com
Comment #4 on issue 1263 by carlosgalvezp: Path/file name limit in IWYU?
https://github.com/include-what-you-use/include-what-you-use/issues/1263

Looking more in detail, it seems to be our build system orchestrating the IWYU calls that is doing something fishy, nothing to do with IWYU itself. Sorry for the confusion!