One user gets 404 error page when logging in

Liz Lee

Mar 31, 2021, 4:51:41 PM3/31/21
to inception-users
Hi,

I recently upgraded to INCEpTION 0.19.1. This morning, one of my annotators logged in for the first time since the upgrade and said that she got a 404 error after entering her credentials. This was the information on the error page:inception404page.png
Whoops! Something went wrong...
Servlet: dispatcherServlet
Request path: /annotation.html
Message:
Application version: 0.19.1 (2021-03-26 22:07:53, build b3eefe95)
Java version: Red Hat, Inc. 11.0.10
Operating system: Linux 3.10.0-1160.21.1.el7.x86_64 amd64

Additional info: she tried on Google Chrome and on Safari, is using a mobile hotspot, and cleared her browser cache to see if it would resolve the issue.

I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on because other annotators and I can still log in and access projects, and there is nothing unusual in the logs. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Thank you,
Liz

Jan-Christoph Klie

Mar 31, 2021, 5:36:18 PM3/31/21
to inception-users
Dear Liz,
thank you for using INCEpTION.  It is difficult to guess from that stack trace what is happening. Is the error reproducible for the aforementioned annotator? If yes, can you add

debug.showExceptionPage=true

to your settings.properties file (see [1] for more info) and restart INCEpTION? Maybe then we can narrow it down with a stack trace. If you got a better error message, this way, please send it to us, afterwards I would remove that line again and restart INCEpTION to disable the debug mode, it has additional checks that slow down INCEpTION.

[1]: https://inception-project.github.io/releases/0.19.1/docs/admin-guide.html#sect_settings

Best,

Jan

Liz Lee

Apr 1, 2021, 9:26:57 AM4/1/21
to inception-users
Hi Jan,

When I asked the annotator to try logging in and check for the stack trace, she realized that all she had to do was click "Projects" in the navigation bar to access her projects.

Still, it is strange that she still sees the error page when she logs in. I want to note that even after adding debug.showExceptionPage=true to settings.conf and restarting INCEpTION, there was no stack trace. She is able to continue annotation, but I will keep an eye out for any other issues.

Thank you,
Liz

Liz Lee

Apr 1, 2021, 9:28:51 AM4/1/21
to inception-users
Correction: I added the debug line to settings.properties.

Jan-Christoph Klie

Apr 1, 2021, 9:57:06 AM4/1/21
to inception-users
Hi Liz,
backtraces are only shown to admins, that was my error to ask you to ask your annotator to have a look. Could it have been that your annotator used a deep link to the annotation page (for instance a bookmark), e.g. inception.com/annotation.html instead of inception.com ? These changed between 0.18 and 0.19 and would explain things.
Best,

Liz Lee

Apr 1, 2021, 10:49:03 AM4/1/21
to inception-users
Hi Jan,

That makes more sense. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the error myself unless I directly modify my address to go to /annotation.html. The annotator has been going to e.g. inception.com/login.html and is logging in from there.

I did go from 0.17.3 to 0.19.1, so the link might explain things. My best guess is that before the upgrade, she logged off while on annotations.html, so when she logged back in after the upgrade, it tried to return her to that address. Now that she's taken herself to the Projects page, I expect that she won't be seeing the error anymore.

Thank you,
Liz