Re: [inception-users] INCEpTION server version

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Apr 5, 2022, 11:44:28 AM4/5/22
to inception-users
Hi Athena,

> On 5. Apr 2022, at 17:08, Athina Ntalli <athina...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is a question of a lay person that uses INCEpTION for first time. I want to install the inception as a server version so that annotators can login remotely and annotate data.
>
> How should I go about? Do I need programming skills? Because in the admin guide it seems so. Can I run the server version from my own personal laptop? What do you recommend? It's for a research project.

There is only one version of INCEpTION which can be installed on a server or simply run on your laptop. So you can run INCEpTION on your laptop, but that is only useful when working alone because normally other annotators won't be able to connect to your laptop.

You don't need programming skills to run INCEpTION on a server, but having a permanently running server system and a system administrator who can help with setting up a MariaDB installation or properly setting up a Docker-based INCEpTION and a backup mechanism for your data is very helpful. Are you possible associated with a university research group that has server resources and maybe a technical person available or are you completely on your own?

Best,

-- Richard

Adelson Sena

May 20, 2022, 10:02:21 AM5/20/22
to inception-users
Hi, Richard,
We're running server system with 30 users and 800 documents, but sometimes, when there are several users at the same time and the documents are large, the system crashes. Is it possible there was a configuration problem? We're using 20.1 version.
Thanks,
Adelson Sena

Richard Eckart de Castilho

May 20, 2022, 10:03:51 AM5/20/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> On 20. May 2022, at 16:02, Adelson Sena <adelson...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We're running server system with 30 users and 800 documents, but sometimes, when there are several users at the same time and the documents are large, the system crashes. Is it possible there was a configuration problem? We're using 20.1 version.

Are you running with or without Docker?

What does "crash" mean exactly?

-- Richard

Adelson Sena

May 20, 2022, 2:35:19 PM5/20/22
to inception-users
Hi, Richard,
I use OpenShift.
The problems are "504 Gateway Time-Out" and reset alone. I think the big files (+4.000 pages) are causing the problem.
Adelson Sena

Richard Eckart de Castilho

May 20, 2022, 3:52:02 PM5/20/22
to inception-users
Hi Adelson

> On 20. May 2022, at 20:35, Adelson Sena <adelson...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The problems are "504 Gateway Time-Out" and reset alone. I think the big files (+4.000 pages) are causing the problem.

Please check your logs - when INCEpTION starts up, it logs how much application memory it has available.
Something like:

[main] INFO [SYSTEM] InceptionApplicationContextInitializer - Max. application memory: 4096MB

What does that line say on your system?

Best,

-- Richard

Adelson Sena

May 23, 2022, 1:39:21 PM5/23/22
to inception-users
Richard,
We are using 32 mb.
2022-05-20 22:53:34 INFO [SYSTEM] InceptionApplicationContextInitializer - Max. application memory: 31675MB
Is it possible that the recommender is also consuming too much memory?
best regards,
Adelson Sena
Erro.JPG

Richard Eckart de Castilho

May 23, 2022, 2:55:47 PM5/23/22
to inception-users
On 23. May 2022, at 19:39, Adelson Sena <adelson...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible that the recommender is also consuming too much memory?

The recommenders did not receive any particular memory optimization treatment
yet. So it is possible, yes - in particular if you are using the built-in
recommenders and not external recommenders. The internal recommenders are
mainly geared towards getting people started working on smaller projects.
Once you have good amount of training data, it usually makes sense to switch
to an external recommender instead and also from online training to batch
training.

Cheers,

-- Richard