Issue in highlighted text in case of page break

raman ratnakar

Aug 17, 2022, 12:05:33 PM8/17/22
to inception-users
Hello,

For page break if the both the pages comes in the middle of editor we are able to select the text across two continuous pages, however we are not able to see the highlighted part in the continuous page which might affect the curation process. Also the header and footers are also getting selected of the document.

Could you please look into this and guide us how to annotate the text in case of page break?

Thanks & Regards
Raman

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Aug 17, 2022, 12:09:38 PM8/17/22
to inception-users
On 17. Aug 2022, at 18:05, raman ratnakar <ramanra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For page break if the both the pages comes in the middle of editor we are able to select the text across two continuous pages, however we are not able to see the highlighted part in the continuous page which might affect the curation process. Also the header and footers are also getting selected of the document.

I assume you are trying to annotate PDF files? There is currently no way to filter out headers/footers from PDFs.

What you can do is create a new span layer e.g. "Fragment" and add a link feature to that layer to your main annotation layer.
Then you create an annotation of your main layer on say page 1, add a "Fragement" annotation on page two and then link the fragment into the annotation you created first.

> Could you please look into this and guide us how to annotate the text in case of page break?

The current PDF editor in INCEpTION v24 only supports annotating over a page break if no scrolling is required as part of the annotation process.

-- Richard

raman ratnakar

Aug 24, 2022, 2:02:14 AM8/24/22
to inception-users
Hi,

For page break if the both the pages comes in the middle of editor we are able to select the text across two continuous pages, issue is we are not able to see the annotated text as highlighted.

Please look into the attached screen shot, under confidentiality we have annotated paragraph a,b aa a single clause, only some part of para b is highlighted rest part is not highlighted.
So when a reviewer is reviewing the annotation they will have to match the start and end words of annotated section against the text appears under Text(as highlighted in annotated_text is not getting highlighted in page_break_issue_1)

So there is some over head as resources have to manually cross verify the annotation. Could you please look into the shared screen shot and help us how to solve this issue.

Thanks,
Raman
annotated_text is not getting highlighted in page_break_issue_1.PNG
annotated_text is not getting highlighted in page_break_issue.PNG

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Aug 24, 2022, 2:55:45 AM8/24/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 24. Aug 2022, at 08:02, raman ratnakar <ramanra...@gmail.com> wrote:

For page break if the both the pages comes in the middle of editor we are able to select the text across two continuous pages, issue is we are not able to see the annotated text as highlighted.

Please look into the attached screen shot, under confidentiality we have annotated paragraph a,b aa a single clause, only some part of para b is highlighted rest part is not highlighted.
So when a reviewer is reviewing the annotation they will have to match the start and end words of annotated section against the text appears under Text(as highlighted in annotated_text is not getting highlighted in page_break_issue_1)

So there is some over head as resources have to manually cross verify the annotation. Could you please look into the shared screen shot and help us how to solve this issue.

Ok, so from the style in which the annotations are rendered in your screenshot, I can see that you are using the legacy PDF editor.

The *new* PDF editor in v24.x does not have this issue. However, you can unfortunately not convert data annotated with the legacy PDF editor to the new one.

In v24.x, import a new PDF file using the "PDF" format (not the "PDF (legacy)" format!). Then open it for annotation and try annotating across the page
boundary - it should work (as long as no scrolling is required during the annotation process). You will also notice that the highlights have a different
style now.

-- Richard