We are pleased to announce the release of INCEpTION 21.0.1!
INCEpTION is an extensible web-based collaborative environment for text annotation. It integrates machine-learning-based annotation support, knowledge base management and corpus building into a single comprehensive platform.
This is a feature release.
- ⭐️ Added option to mark document-level layers as singletons
- ⭐️ Added option for project manages to configure a default sidebar for the annotation page
- ⭐️ Added support remembering the state of the left sidebar on the annotation page
- ⭐️ Added support for jumping between annotations on the same layer via keyboard or mouse
- ⭐️ Added AGROVOC to the list of pre-defined knowledge-base profiles
- ⭐️ Added annotation pop-over information for the annotator views on the curation page
- ⭐️ Added support for alternative label properties in knowledge bases (e.g.
- ⭐️ Added speaking and configurable URLs for projects (URL slugs)
- ⭐️ Added abbreviated project descriptions in project overview
- ⭐️ Added option to ignore a feature of a layer in the curation process (e.g. for notes features)
- ⭐️ Added layer and feature name information in UIMA XMI CAS exports
- ⭐️ Added ability to bulk-assign text to annotators based on a filter (static workflow)
- ⭐️ Added option to globally configure the timeouts for talking with remote recommenders
- ⭐️ Improved information provided in the UI for the recommender subsystem
- ⭐️ Improved color coding for annotator views on the curation page
- ⭐️ Removed need for project names to be globally unique (URL slugs must be unique though)
- ⭐️ Added "delete annotation" shortcut
- 🧪 Added experimental push notifications via WebSocket (feature flag)
- 🦟 Fixed issues when accessing Fuseki SPARQL endpoints like the GND endpoint of ZBW
- 🦟 Fixed issues causing a selected bulk-deleted annotation not to become unselected
- 🦟 Fixed issues that export progress bar was visible even if no export was running
- 🦟 Fixed issue bulk-deleting stacked annotations
- 🦟 Fixed issue bulk-creating annotations when the template contains a slot feature
- 🦟 Fixed issue that deleting an annotation with a link feature may not have updated the annotation view
- 🦟 Fixed issue that feature values cannot be saved using the enter key in the document metadata sidebar
- 🦟 Fixed issue that experimental versioning settings are not accessible from the settings dashboard menu
- 🦟 Fixed issue in BratRenderer (wrapping @ 120 chars) setting and a very large page size (500)
- 🦟 Fixed issue in BratRenderer during curation (null)
If you discover problems with this release, please report them to us via our issue tracker .
Contributors to this release since 20.4: @reckart, @UWinch, @jcklie, @Falko1
Also thanks to all issue reporters, beta testers, feature suggesters, and users!
The new version can be downloaded from our website .
Important upgrade notes
An in-place upgrade from INCEpTION 20.4 to 21.0.1 is possible.
Back up your data before the upgrade .
If you upgrade from a version older than 20.0, please check the update notes for INCEpTION 20.0 .
If you are using MySQL or MariaDB, please ensure that default row format is set to
dynamic, otherwise, you may get an error like this during upgrade:
Error creating bean with name 'liquibase' defined in class path resource [org/springframework/boot/autoconfigure/liquibase/LiquibaseAutoConfiguration$LiquibaseConfiguration.class]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is liquibase.exception.LiquibaseException: liquibase.exception.MigrationFailedException: Migration failed for change set de/tudarmstadt/ukp/inception/preferences/model/db-changelog.xml::20210925-1::INCEpTION Team:
Reason: liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: (conn=242839) Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes. [Failed SQL: (1709) ALTER TABLE `inception-testing`.default_project_preference ADD CONSTRAINT UK_default_project_preference_name_project UNIQUE (project, name)]
To set the default row format, you can add these settings to your MySQL/MariaDB config file and then restart the database:
An overview of INCEpTION can be found in
Klie, J.-C., Bugert, M., Boullosa, B., Eckart de Castilho, R. and Gurevych, I. (2018):
The INCEpTION Platform: Machine-Assisted and Knowledge-Oriented Interactive Annotation.
In Proceedings of System Demonstrations of the 27th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2018), Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
PDF and BibTeX as well as more publications on specific features are
available from our website .
License and System requirements
INCEpTION is provided as open source software under the Apache License version 2.
Running INCEpTION requires Java version 11 or higher.
By default, INCEpTION uses an embedded database which is sufficient for testing. However, the use of a MariaDB database is recommended.
INCEpTION works best with Chrome and Safari.
-- The INCEpTION developer team