Help needed to annotate the tabular data

raman ratnakar

Aug 17, 2022, 12:01:27 PM8/17/22
to inception-users
Hello,

Many files having tabular data, we are able to annotate the table element wise but we are not able to annotate the whole table. For now we are skipping these tabular data. This is a loss of data in annotation. Can we have a fix/solution so that we will be able to capture the tabular data?

Could you please guide us how to annotate the tabular data in order to minimize the loss of data in annotation?

Thanks & Regards
Raman

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Aug 17, 2022, 12:06:13 PM8/17/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> On 17. Aug 2022, at 18:01, raman ratnakar <ramanra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Many files having tabular data, we are able to annotate the table element wise but we are not able to annotate the whole table. For now we are skipping these tabular data. This is a loss of data in annotation. Can we have a fix/solution so that we will be able to capture the tabular data?
>
> Could you please guide us how to annotate the tabular data in order to minimize the loss of data in annotation?

Can you provide an example of the data you are trying to annotate?

-- Richard

raman ratnakar

Aug 24, 2022, 1:48:09 AM8/24/22
to inception-users
Hi,

Please find the attached screen shot of the tabular data we are trying to annotate.

Thanks,
Raman
issue_with_tabular_data_annotation.PNG

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Aug 24, 2022, 1:51:16 AM8/24/22
to inception-users
On 24. Aug 2022, at 07:48, raman ratnakar <ramanra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please find the attached screen shot of the tabular data we are trying to annotate.

Is it a PDF or HTML?

-- Richard

raman ratnakar

Aug 24, 2022, 2:21:49 AM8/24/22
to inception-users
Hi,

This is PDF document, we have taken the screen shot of the same from Inception Editor.

Thanks,
Raman

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Aug 24, 2022, 3:34:06 AM8/24/22
On 24. Aug 2022, at 08:21, raman ratnakar <ramanra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is PDF document, we have taken the screen shot of the same from Inception Editor.

In a PDF document, the behavior of selection depends on how the document was generated. I would guess this particular PDF was probably generated from a Word file. I would assume that you should be able to select text inside individual table cells - does that work?

The behavior of selecting across table cells depends on the order in which the tool that generated the PDF (Word?) rendered the PDF text. If it rendered row-by-row, you should be able to select text across an entire row, then going to the next row. If it generated column-by-column, you should be able to select text within one column and then going to the next column.

If you are not able to select text at all, then the table might be stored as an image without associated text in the PDF. In that case, INCEpTION has no way of accessing the table contents. You can try opening the PDF in another PDF tool (e.g. Acrobat) and see if the table text is selectable there. In that case, you might need to apply an OCR tool before using the PDF in INCEpTION.

Can you say more exactly what you are trying to do, what you expect and what actually happens?

-- Richard

raman ratnakar

Sep 6, 2022, 1:03:34 AM9/6/22
to inception-users
Hi,

We have looked into the file, the table is coming as image and the text is not searchable.
We will look for any other files with table in it, if it is searchable will try to annotate. If we face any issue in annotating the table we will update you.

Thanks,
Raman