ANNOTATION OF BILINGUAL CORPUS

Xinyi Zhong

Sep 5, 2022, 11:02:47 AM9/5/22
to inception-users
Hi,

I would like to ask if INCEpTION can be used to annotate a parallel corpus as shown in the picture below. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Xinyi

Screenshot 2022-09-05 at 16.59.10.png

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Sep 5, 2022, 1:24:22 PM9/5/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I assume that the screenshot that you have attached is from INCEpTION, right?

However, you might want to go to the project settings, open the layers pane and
select your relation layer and then turn off the "show arcs" option to avoid the
arrows being drawn. If you click on a span, you will still see in the right sidebar
which other span it is connected to via a relation.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Xinyi Zhong

Sep 7, 2022, 10:35:42 AM9/7/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for your email.

I saw the screenshot from an article and the author used the annotation tool brat
I will try the solution that you mentioned.

Best wishes,
Xinyi

Richard Eckart de Castilho <richard...@gmail.com> 于2022年9月5日周一 19:24写道:

Imran Hassan

Sep 16, 2022, 4:45:37 AM9/16/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I hope you guys are having a great day. I am using inception for tagging my dataset which we are going to use in our final year project. but I want to tag the named entities and part of speech both. So anyone can guide me on how to do that. I will be thankful to you.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "inception-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/inception-users/CAPOHqaRjLq9EyevdxA0FCNedVcjiMS67oX-RThVFPERqnidm7Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Sep 17, 2022, 6:45:07 AM9/17/22
to inception-users
On 16. Sep 2022, at 10:45, Imran Hassan <110...@stud.uot.edu.pk> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I hope you guys are having a great day. I am using inception for tagging my dataset which we are going to use in our final year project. but I want to tag the named entities and part of speech both. So anyone can guide me on how to do that. I will be thankful to you.

On the project overview page, click on the arrow button next to "Create new project..." and select "Standard project" to create a new project that contains pre-defined layers for Named entity annotation as well as POS annotation.

If you have already created a project, go to the "Layers" panel in the "Project settings", click on the arrow next to "Create" and select "Named entity tagging", "Named entity linking" and/or "Part-of-speech tragging" to add the respective missing pre-defined layers to your project.

Alternatively, you can define your own span layers to annotate POS and NE as you wish.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Imran Hassan

Sep 19, 2022, 3:47:28 AM9/19/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your kind reply.  I have done everything as you said I have created a custom layer for ner and post tags and I attached my related tagset to the layer.  Then I tagged a small data set for trying.  When I export the file it contains the text but doesn't contain any tag. Kindly guide us on that problem. We will be very thankful.

Regards:
Imran Hassan

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Sep 19, 2022, 4:13:37 AM9/19/22
to inception-users
On 19. Sep 2022, at 09:37, Imran Hassan <110...@stud.uot.edu.pk> wrote:

> Thanks for your kind reply. I have done everything as you said I have created a custom layer for ner and post tags and I attached my related tagset to the layer. Then I tagged a small data set for trying. When I export the file it contains the text but doesn't contain any tag. Kindly guide us on that problem. We will be very thankful.

Try exporting e.g. as "CAS XMI (XML 1.0)".

-- Richard

See also: https://github.com/dkpro/dkpro-cassis

Imran Hassan

Sep 20, 2022, 3:00:35 AM9/20/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
The file was in plain text format

Best wishes:
Imran Hassan

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Sep 20, 2022, 4:50:56 AM9/20/22
to inception-users
On 20. Sep 2022, at 08:40, Imran Hassan <110...@stud.uot.edu.pk> wrote:

> The file was in plain text format

If you export as "plain text", then the file only contains text, no annotations.

Try UIMA CAS XMI (XML 1.0) - that format offers comprehensive support for all of INCEpTION's features. Or try the new experimental UIMA CAS JSON (experimental) in INCEpTION v24.

-- Richard

Imran Hassan

Sep 21, 2022, 7:11:11 AM9/21/22
to incepti...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sir
Hope you guys are doing well, we are tagging our NER with POS, POS  tags  are mandatory for it's accuracy and  we created custom layer to merge both tags NER and POS, but after exporting the file it's only contains single tag not both, maybe it's something in default setting or  else but cannot export both tags in single file that we want,,  we need a file with both tags in same time in same layar
I hope Sir you can understand my problem

Best wishes
Regards
Imran hassan

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Sep 22, 2022, 2:33:47 PM9/22/22
to inception-users
On 21. Sep 2022, at 13:10, Imran Hassan <110...@stud.uot.edu.pk> wrote:

> Hope you guys are doing well, we are tagging our NER with POS, POS tags are mandatory for it's accuracy and we created custom layer to merge both tags NER and POS, but after exporting the file it's only contains single tag not both, maybe it's something in default setting or else but cannot export both tags in single file that we want,, we need a file with both tags in same time in same layar
> I hope Sir you can understand my problem

If you export as UIMA CAS XMI or UIMA JSON, you should see your data there.

Can you provide screenshots of the setup of your custom layer, a selected annotation of that layer on the annotation page and a minimal XMI file exported from that project (i.e. import a simple text with a few words only, annotate it, with your layer, then export it)?

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Sep 25, 2022, 5:19:40 PM9/25/22
to Imran Hassan, inception-users
Thanks for the screenshots and examples.

So, in the JSON data for example, you can see that a POS and a NER annotation are at the same location:

{
"%ID" : 317,
"%TYPE" : "webanno.custom.POSNER",
"@sofa" : 30,
"begin" : 207,
"end" : 222,
"Tag" : "NNP"
}

and

{
"%ID" : 517,
"%TYPE" : "webanno.custom.POSNER",
"@sofa" : 30,
"begin" : 207,
"end" : 222,
"Tag" : "PER"
}

So for me that looks normal. I am not sure what you expect.

That said, I would strongly recommend to use different layers for POS and NER because POS should be "per word" and NER can be one-or-more words. They do not have the same granularity.
Also, a POS layer should be configured to disallow stacking. A NER layer might allow stacking, but if it is not strictly necessary, I would also recommend to disable stacking for NER - in particular if you intend to use recommenders (because most do not support stacked annotations).

-- Richard

Imran Hassan

Sep 28, 2022, 3:33:21 PM9/28/22
to Richard Eckart de Castilho, inception-users
Thanks for the feedback, and your humbleness