jblas dependency issue when building from source on Manjaro Linux.

Joaquín Iglesias

Aug 28, 2018, 7:32:56 AM8/28/18
to Incanter
Hi guys,

I have been working on code to perform iteratively reweighted least squares and an implementation of robust linear regression using it. I have been wanting to write a glm for incanter for a while and those things are a half-point in the whole project, so I would like to contribute them back.

I am pretty much done implementing the algorithms and I have tests for the whole thing. There are some minor points left, but they are pretty much due to my preferences on statistics, I am happy to change them if you guys think I should and I would rather discuss that at some other point. Other than introducing my project, I want these first lines to highlight, I have been running incanter, clojure.core.matrix and clojure.core.matrix.linear seamlessly as dependencies. I first wrote my project as a stand alone project, and figured I would integrate the code later in the incanter source code. I am rather newby in the whole open source contribution and clojure ecosystem, so please let me know if I am doing/saying something completely wrong :)

My issue begins when I cloned and downloaded the source code from github, I ran lein sub install without issue, but when I went to run the tests in the core module I got the following error (I will paste the full trace at the end):

Compiling 1 source files to /home/joaquin/incanter/modules/incanter-core/target/classes
warning
: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.7
1 warning
Compiling 1 source files to /home/joaquin/incanter/modules/incanter-core/target/classes
warning
: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.7
1 warning

lein test incanter
.core-tests
compliance test
:clatrix
-- org.jblas ERROR Couldn't load copied link file: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/jblas8041919576558458983libjblas_arch_flavor.so: libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

On Linux 64bit, you need additional support libraries.
You need to install libgfortran3.

For example for debian or Ubuntu, type "sudo apt-get install libgfortran3"

For more information, see https://github.com/mikiobraun/jblas/wiki/Missing-Libraries

Ran 78 tests containing 1668 assertions.
0 failures, 43 errors.
Tests failed.

So, I searched the manjaro official repositories, but there is no libgfortran3, I have libgfortran8 installed, and in the AUR there is libgfortan6. That should do the trick, as stated in this post https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44658867/r-v3-4-0-2-unable-to-find-libgfortran-so-3-on-arch, but when I try to install it, the whole thing just stalls there for hours and the installation does not ever finish.

On that stack overflow link, it seems like a system update and reinstall worked, so i updated and lein install again, but the same issue remains.

Anyways, any pointers on how to run the tests are highly appreciated :)

full error trace: