Discussion about Git branches, etc.

Alex Ott

Mar 7, 2018, 4:54:08 PM3/7/18
to inca...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

Tom filed the PR (https://github.com/incanter/incanter/pull/383) to merge the current version of develop branch into master to create a visibility of the work that happens on the project. Currently we have 2 active branches:
  • master - used for 1.5.x version of Incanter - updated quite early
  • develop - used for 2.x version of Incanter (really 1.9.x) - more work happens

I remember that we discussed that development should happen on develop branch, and we'll merge into master when 2.x will be more stable.

I understand reason for PR, because right now users are coming to Github, and see that last commit was almost 2 years ago, and may think that project is completely dead.

To circumvent we can do one of following:
  1. accept PR & merge develop into master, but we need to create separate branch for 1.5.x series
  2. simply set develop branch as default in the Github settings so users will see this branch by default.

What do you think? I would prefer item 2, but let discuss pros/cons...

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/

路Ricardo M.

May 27, 2018, 3:51:01 PM5/27/18
to Incanter
I think option 1 is better. Because the option 2 change default branch to develop, in future might need to change back again. It's not a good idea.
Anyway v1.5.x is stable, leave it as a separate branch is good.