Feature request: turn off notifications unless explicit disagreement

Jane Widness

Dec 13, 2018, 9:37:19 PM12/13/18
to iNaturalist
I know others have requested this before (in slightly different words), but could we get another notification setting?  I'm happy that we can at least turn off confirming ID notifications, but I'd really like to also be able to turn off notifications for IDs that don't explicitly disagree with my own.  I'd still like to get notifications for IDs that include comments though.  This would vastly improve my ability to respond to real issues.

Hypothetical example --
My ID: Equus quagga
Would *not* like a notification for IDs made by others of: Equus quagga, Equus quagga burchelli, Equus (not explicit disagreement)
Would like a notification for: Equus (explicit disagreement with quagga), any ID that has comments

Charlie Hohn

Dec 13, 2018, 10:12:53 PM12/13/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
here's the type of ID i would like to turn off:

When an observation already has a community ID, say Salix nigra, if I had only identified to genus (maybe always)? i get notifications for other people agreeing it is Salix nigra. Basically i want notifications for leading or maverick IDs when i am following an observation, but not all the agreements with existing IDs.

============================
Charlie Hohn
Montpelier, Vermont

Message has been deleted

paloma

Dec 14, 2018, 1:01:25 AM12/14/18
to iNaturalist
The system is already keeping track of leading and maverick IDs by person, so I agree, why not the ability to just get notified of those?

paloma

Dec 14, 2018, 1:03:01 AM12/14/18
to iNaturalist
plus comments

paloma

Dec 14, 2018, 1:25:56 AM12/14/18
to iNaturalist
One thing I just noticed, though, when I agreed with a disagreeing "leading" ID: My ID is labelled "leading" too. So it would be better, in my opinion, to just get the first of each "leading" or "maverick" and not every "leading" or "maverick" that is really adding nothing new. The example I'm referring to is:

first ID: Jack-in-the-Pulpit
next ID: Carrot family "leading"
my ID: Carrot family "leading"

I would not like to get notified of every ID of "Carrot family" after that, just because it's labelled "leading." I don't understand why my ID in this case should be considered "leading" anyway.

Charlie Hohn

Dec 14, 2018, 7:42:03 AM12/14/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
i guess it's considered leading compared with the community ID but i agree it isn't really leading and should be tracked a bit differently. Maybe just hard to do so from a database standpoint.

tony rebelo

Dec 20, 2018, 6:14:31 AM12/20/18
to iNaturalist
I second this.

I get hundreds of IDs of users making identifications at the species level to observations that are  community identified to subspecies level.  They are not disagreeing, just posting an ID at the species level.
This happens when some observer uses the "identify" and reviews dozens of lions or kudu or buffalo or etc. observations to species level and floods my dashboard.
There is no change in community ID.  There is no disagreement,  So these should not appear in my dashboard.

rephrasing Jane's comment:  Hypothetical example --
Community & My ID: Equus quagga burchelli
Would *not* like a notification for IDs made by others of: Equus quagga, Equus (not explicit disagreement)
Would like a notification for: Equus (explicit disagreement with E. quagga), Equus quagga (explicit disagreement with E. quagga burchelli), any ID that has comments.