Order of IDs/comments in observation view

kiwif...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2018, 3:57:06 PM12/8/18
to iNaturalist
Can we have the option to reverse the order that IDs and comments are displayed in, so that most current is at the top rather than the bottom? Perhaps as a setting for the account.

It always bugged me that the comments and IDs are in top down order, as you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see the most recent comments. I appreciate that for most people, reading "downward" makes more sense, but there will be others like myself who are very used to the idea of reading upward.

Lately I have noticed that when you view an alerted ID/comment, it jumps straight to the comment, which is terrific if the list of comments is long. However, most of the time the number of IDs/comments is short, and the image of the observation is not visible above the comment. I find myself repeatedly paging upward to see what it is they are putting an ID to, or making the comment about. Back when I had only a handful of alerts a day it was just a minor nuisance, but now that I am getting hundreds, it is a great frustration. For me, reversing the order of the IDs/comments, and switching off that "jump to ID/comment" behaviour, would mean that I have the photo and the ID/comment visible as soon as I follow into the alert.

Bernard Bal

Dec 11, 2018, 8:15:32 AM12/11/18
to iNaturalist
I agree with this proposal, facing the same problem and feeling the same frustration

Chris Vynbos

Dec 11, 2018, 12:00:38 PM12/11/18
to iNaturalist
I am always in favour of giving the user more choice, so I'd vote for being able to choose which order the page is viewed. .As a work around you could duplicate the tab and keep the images at the top of one page and toggle between the two tabs instead of scrolling up.

jdmore

Dec 12, 2018, 12:21:42 AM12/12/18
to iNaturalist
I'll add a vote for this capability too, if it doesn't impact overall system performance overmuch.  kiwif...  -- if you still can, you might want to add the "feature-request" flag to your original post, so it maybe gets appropriate attention faster.

--Jim Morefield