How are Parent places meant to work in relation to their child places?

Martin Reid

Feb 24, 2019, 3:02:35 PM2/24/19
to iNaturalist
I cannot find anything within iNat to explain what a parent place is.  When creating a place I can assign it a parent place - but what functionality does this provide?
BTW I was hoping that by attaching children to a parent that when I look at the parent place I see the combined content of all of the children places... not so.
I want to create a place that consists of multiple connected polygons - is there a way to do this without using imported .kml files?
Thanks.

Mark Tutty

Feb 24, 2019, 4:24:41 PM2/24/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

“I want to create a place that consists of multiple connected polygons - is there a way to do this without using imported .kml files?“

Yes, you do so as you would a single polygon, but you must “close” the polygon before you can create the next one. To close it, add a final point on top of the first one. The bounded region will show a line back to the start point every time you add a new point, and will close it automatically when you save the single bounded polygon, but you need to manually close it in order to start a second or subsequent polygon.

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com