session expired errors

Mark Rosenstein

Dec 21, 2018, 2:19:51 PM12/21/18
to iNaturalist
There's a problem I keep running into which is aggravating for me, though I don't know if anyone else has seen this.

Something I commonly do through the web interface is to open a new tab on a troubling observation, and research and think about it for a while.  It may be more than a day before I make up my mind and go to enter an ID, with a lengthy explanation.  However, in the meantime the session data associated with that web page has expired, so that the new ID fails to save.  An brief error message is displayed, and everything just typed is lost.  If I refresh the page, then type everything again, it is successfully saved. I would love to see everything I just typed not lost at this point.  Could it leave the text box with typing visible after the error is displayed?  Then I could copy it before the refresh and not have to type it all again.

-Mark

Mark Tutty

Dec 21, 2018, 7:53:08 PM12/21/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

I think if you access via a different tab immediately before wanting to commit your changes, it will ensure there is a valid session? In other words, just before committing your changes, ctrl-click on the explore tab (as an example) so it opens in a new window, and if it asks you to sign in, then do so... should re-establish a session so when you go back to your ID to be made, it will not encounter a broken session when you submit it. Of course, you have to remember to do that BEFORE you submit...

Also, and I am not sure if this works... rather than refresh, try clicking “back” on your browser, it may cache the field contents in the history... you might need to click back a couple times... worth a try

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com

Mark Rosenstein

Dec 21, 2018, 11:23:54 PM12/21/18
to iNaturalist
If I remember that this is an old tab, I'll refresh it before trying to post. The problem is that I usually don't, and then I loose the explanation I type.  It doesn't seem to matter that I have other iNat tabs that are recent.

-Mark

tony rebelo

Dec 22, 2018, 3:17:51 PM12/22/18
to iNaturalist
This happens often enough for me to have loaded "Lazarus: Form Recovery"
But Google does not like it  "This extension violates the Chrome Web Store policy."
Especially useful when one's reply was several hundred words and it vanishes.

Is there not a way that the page can post a "timeout" warning - say after not being used for xx hours (even if it is not necessarily timed out) - and present a "refresh"  button?