GPS doesn't match between observation and species search

Rudyard Wallen

Aug 25, 2018, 5:37:51 PM8/25/18
to iNaturalist
Hey Folks,

this is weird. I have an OSFL I'd spotted near Lily Pond near CAS here:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9361628
and in the obs it shows as being at Lily Pond (in GG Park)

I was kind of wondering why it showed in one SF group but not the other. When I did a species search, this obs shows as being close to Brisbane.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=854&taxon_id=16110

An obs of an Aleutian Cackling Goose at Stow Lake shows as being out on the ocean.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=854&taxon_id=179299

Anyway, just a little something to brighten up your day

cheers

-Rudyard

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 2.27.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 2.28.20 PM.png

Chris Cheatle

Aug 25, 2018, 8:08:14 PM8/25/18
to iNaturalist
In each case, the species has a conservation status. By default, any observations with this are shown to other observers not at the actual location, but rather a randomized location within roughly a 25 square kilometer bounding box of the actual location.

Rudyard Wallen

Aug 25, 2018, 8:12:47 PM8/25/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
OK, so I'm looking at it as an external observer would. Yup, signed out and went to one of the observations... got it.

thanks Chris

Chris Cheatle

Aug 25, 2018, 8:19:06 PM8/25/18
to iNaturalist
Yes, if it is your own observation, you see the actual location. No sense hiding it from you, you know where it was.

In terms of groups/projects/searches it is possible it will not even be returned if too much of that bounding box is outside the search paramters.

Rudyard Wallen

Aug 25, 2018, 8:20:54 PM8/25/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
thanks, and evidently it is right down to subspecies as this Cackler is not obscured. Interesting.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9118227

cheers

-R