alternatives for users without email addresses to create an iNat account

Robert Taylor

Mar 7, 2019, 8:42:06 AM3/7/19
to iNaturalist
Here in Botswana, and I imagine in most of Africa, many people will have a smart phone and Wi-Fi in schools however many people will not have an email address. I know it is easy to create a gmail account - however the people I am trying to persuade to use iNaturalist completely loose interest when they have to create a email account for the iNat App to work. I am trying to assist with getting participants for the JRS project: http://jrsbiodiversity.org/ori-2017-announcement/. Is there a way around the email requirement  - could they just add their phone number instead or perhaps not have any requirements for registration at all?

Sorry I tried the new forum and it said access denied when I tried to submit this request.

Magda Botha

Mar 7, 2019, 11:38:21 AM3/7/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I had the same experience on the new forum... access denied.

All changed after I opened some pages and tabs.  It seems they want you to browse the site, before you are accepted to post.

After a while I could go back to the post I wrote and then I was able to post it.

Magda

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 3:42 PM Robert Taylor <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here in Botswana, and I imagine in most of Africa, many people will have a smart phone and Wi-Fi in schools however many people will not have an email address. I know it is easy to create a gmail account - however the people I am trying to persuade to use iNaturalist completely loose interest when they have to create a email account for the iNat App to work. I am trying to assist with getting participants for the JRS project: http://jrsbiodiversity.org/ori-2017-announcement/. Is there a way around the email requirement  - could they just add their phone number instead or perhaps not have any requirements for registration at all?

Sorry I tried the new forum and it said access denied when I tried to submit this request.

Tony Iwane

Mar 11, 2019, 2:21:30 AM3/11/19
to iNaturalist
Robert, there is no way to create an iNaturalist account without an email address you can link it to. I suppose you can log in via Facebook, but doesn't one need an email address to have a facebook account?

Regarding forum.inaturalist.org: you should have received a welcome message when you joined that linked to a page that described Discourse's Trust Level system. Was that link not there?

Tony Iwane

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 8:38:21 AM UTC-8, magdastlucia wrote:
[...]

Mark Tutty

Mar 11, 2019, 4:25:31 AM3/11/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

You might need an email account to open an iNat (or facebook) account, but do you ever need to use it again?

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com