Is there a way to view the seasonality graphs per hemisphere?

Robert Taylor

Jan 19, 2019, 5:55:43 AM1/19/19
to iNaturalist
Can one view the seasonality graphs for just the southern hemisphere?

Chris Cheatle

Jan 19, 2019, 7:44:03 AM1/19/19
to iNaturalist
I don't think so, but maybe someone knows a way. I can't find a place that matches it, and I suspect the site won't support one that big due to the indexing demands.

It should be possible to hack the observations search URL to see a list of observations from only the southern hemisphere and then either eyeball it, export it, or further back the URL to see one month and then another month etc and note the relative frequencies.

Chris Cheatle

Jan 19, 2019, 8:47:17 AM1/19/19
to iNaturalist
Here\s a sample observation search url that finds all records of a selected species (you just need to know the id # of the species you are interested in) for the month of January, only in the Southern Hemisphere.

Editing it should be self-evident

Charlie Hohn

Jan 19, 2019, 9:07:17 AM1/19/19
to iNaturalist
It would be nice to have a hemisphere toggle, like a pulldown that offers both. Most speices of plant at least are't abundant in both hemispheres, but there are some invasives and such. With the hemispheres having reversed seasons and with the strong New Zealand contingent, some of hte species phenology graphs do wash out a bit.

============================
Charlie Hohn
Montpelier, Vermont

tony rebelo

Jan 23, 2019, 6:59:57 AM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
But that does not show the graph!

The way to do it is to select a place.
(unfortunately the urls dont seem to apply): so
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/132848-Protea-cynaroides - will show the graph for your default place (for Robert that should be southern Africa)
- 444 observations with a max of 65 in December
now on the right under species is the option "filter by place" select Cape Peninsula
the graph now shows only the Cape Peninsula data.
 - 122 observations with a max on 22 in February.
or another example

southern Africa: 17 observations peaking in spring
cleared locality: 2483 observations peaking in july

If your query was specifically for southern vs northern hemisphere, then I am afraid that does not appear to be an option.
There are continents, but not hemispheres.  There is also a Pacific Ocean, but no Atlantic or Indian Ocean, nor Arctic Ocean
Why not change this post to a request for this functionality?

If some knows how to access this by url, I should be grateful.

PS: Ditto: I cannot get the tabs to work
So to show the map or taxonomy tab should be
but it does not work by url!  It always defaults to the previous view.

Chris Cheatle

Jan 23, 2019, 7:25:01 AM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
I didnt suggest it would show the graph, I specifically noted you would need to eyeball, export or note the frequencies.

The request was not how to see frequencies for South Africa or a defined place, it was how to see the data at the hemisphere level.

If there is another way to see hemisphere level data other than the one I proposed, I am open to learning it.

tony rebelo

Jan 25, 2019, 12:08:20 AM1/25/19
to iNaturalist
the request was "view the seasonality graphs per hemisphere?"
there are many ways of skinning a cat, but this one cannot be done, except by exporting the data and making the graphs yourself..