More options in collections projects? - adding project filters to projects

tony rebelo

Nov 20, 2018, 4:23:07 AM11/20/18
to iNaturalist
I have just had two requests for Projects.
1.  Chondrichthyan eggs in southern Africa
2.  Chondrichthyan strandings in southern Africa.

We have two conventional projects:   Eggs  (https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/eggs-s-afr) and Strandings (https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/strandings-s-afr) and it is trivial to filter Chondrichthyans and these projects, but the user wants to feedback and hence a Project is useful.

Creating a collections project for the eggs was easy (but time consuming): Just download all the observations in the filter Chondrichthyans & Eggs, and annotate the "Life Stage" field to "Egg" (except for one which had a mother laying eggs, where one has to choose either adult or egg: one cannot annotate both - as someone else had annotated it to adult, I could not include it in the project),
and then create a project on the taxon and the annotation: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/chondrichthyan-egg-cases-of-southern-africa

However, this is not possible for Chondrichthyan strandings.

It does not seem like a major ask to request a filter for "Projects" alongside "Taxa", "Places" and "Users" on the project design page  - I assume that there was a good reason why this was not done at the time.
Unfortunately the umbrella project just unions existing projects: it does not allow simultaneous filtering of Taxa and Places (or users).

Is such an upgrade envisaged?
if so, what are the timelines?

Tony Iwane

Nov 20, 2018, 2:56:14 PM11/20/18
to iNaturalist
Hi Tony,

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, you'd want to add a "Projects" filter to collection projects to filter for observations that are in a traditional project? Then in this case, the collection project would have all stranded Chondrichthyan eggs in southern Africa in it?

Tony Iwane

tony rebelo

Nov 23, 2018, 5:58:31 PM11/23/18
to iNaturalist
Correct.

Tony Iwane

Nov 27, 2018, 3:02:50 PM11/27/18
to iNaturalist
Cool. I'll see if that's something we can do.

Tony Iwane

Tony Iwane

Dec 7, 2018, 4:47:00 PM12/7/18
to iNaturalist
Hi Tony,

We're working on this, might be ready next week.

Tony Iwane