Identifying one's own observations

Chris Vynbos

Jul 29, 2018, 5:47:51 AM7/29/18
to iNaturalist
When I identify my own observations it doesn't add to my identification count, nor does it show up on https://www.inaturalist.org/identifications/vynbos
I don't see the logic in this, can someone explain?

bouteloua

Jul 29, 2018, 7:54:02 AM7/29/18
to iNaturalist
"It help highlight people who don't add a lot of observations but do help other
people out a bunch"
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/XdFMqOB0Mj0/GwMtDfYzAgAJ

Maybe that should be done in a different way?

cassi

Mirko Schoenitz

Jul 29, 2018, 8:41:30 AM7/29/18
to iNaturalist
It should be done the way it's done now.  It's expected to give your own observations an initial ID no matter how coarse.  It'd be redundant to count this activity twice.  The ID count does now, and properly should, reflect the help you provide to others in the community.

Chris Vynbos

Jul 29, 2018, 9:00:55 AM7/29/18
to iNaturalist
ok, I looked for a thread on this topic but didn't find it. I've now added my POV to that thread.

Chris Vynbos

Jul 29, 2018, 9:03:40 AM7/29/18
to iNaturalist
Mirko I've moved the discussion to the other thread.