Same observations are displayed multiple times when sorting by faves

Jeremy Hussell

Dec 20, 2018, 11:42:45 AM12/20/18
to iNaturalist
This is a little difficult to reproduce: the observations which show up multiple times are different each time.

E.g. click on the Explore link, optionally choose a taxon (e.g. Eastern Phoebe), and set the filter to sort by faves:

Scrolling down the list, I can sometimes pick out a few repeats in the list. Opening two apparently identical observations shows that they do, in fact, have the same URL. Switching between grid view and list view doesn't change anything. Reloading on either grid view or list view causes a different set of duplicates to appear. Sometimes I can't spot any duplicates, but I find at least one ~80% of the time, and occasionally 3 or more different observations duplicated. I haven't spotted a pattern in where they appear.

Observed in Firefox, IE, and Chrome.

While writing this up, I noticed that sometimes observations don't appear on the list after a reload. Sometimes these are observations which were near the start of the page before reload (i.e. they have lots of favorites, but don't appear in the list sometimes).

Tony Iwane

Dec 20, 2018, 12:50:49 PM12/20/18
to iNaturalist
Hi Jeremy,

This is a known issue (https://github.com/inaturalist/inaturalist/issues/971) that (obviously) hasn't been fixed yet.

Tony Iwane

Jeremy Hussell

Dec 20, 2018, 3:53:11 PM12/20/18
to iNaturalist
Thanks. I'm glad it isn't just me, and happy to bring fresh attention to this bug report, which I'm dismayed to see hasn't had any activity for ~30 months.