Minor change request to /taxa/new page

Chris Cheatle

Dec 18, 2018, 2:13:54 PM12/18/18
to iNaturalist
On the new taxa entry page ( https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/new ) is it possible when you click the lookup button to find the appropriate parent to restrict the list to items that are higher in the taxonomy tree than the level you have chosen in the rank drop-down.

Thus for example, if you have chosen species in the rank box, only items that are higher than species are returned (no other species, sub species etc as even attempting to add such a new taxa will error out).

Tony Iwane

Dec 18, 2018, 2:31:26 PM12/18/18
to iNaturalist
Good suggestion, Chris, I'll see if this is something we can do.

Tony Iwane

tony rebelo

Dec 20, 2018, 5:37:00 AM12/20/18
to iNaturalist
Could I please also request that somewhere on the taxa/new page, the "×" to be used for hybrids can be placed in the associated/explanatory text.  I always have to run to the help >  curator+guide to find out what I should be using.
perhaps here: change:
NamesA default taxon name will automatically be created from the scientific name attribute of this taxon. When you've saved this new taxon, you'll be able to add other names here (common names, outdated scientific names, etc.).
NamesA default taxon name will automatically be created from the scientific name attribute of this taxon. When you've saved this new taxon, you'll be able to add other names here (common names, outdated scientific names, etc.).  Use "×" and not X for hybrids.

Tony Iwane

Dec 20, 2018, 3:11:03 PM12/20/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tony,