taxonomy list at top of page

edanko

Jan 30, 2019, 9:18:25 AM1/30/19
to iNaturalist

As this photo shows, the taxonomy bar above the species name shows that this is an animal... and the genus and species. If you can only see the genus and species if you're on a species page, then this is totally redundant unless you weren't sure if it was an animal or want to go to the genus page. Would it be fair to add one or two more taxonomic levels to this bar, so I can at least see what tribe or subfamily it belong to without using the taxonomy tab?

There are probably reasons for the way it is right now too, just throwing this idea out there.

Capture.PNG

bouteloua

Jan 30, 2019, 10:09:20 AM1/30/19
to iNaturalist
Try clicking the little three dots.

cassi

megatherium

Jan 30, 2019, 10:35:05 AM1/30/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
I read that (perhaps wrongly)  as them asking for less data to be cut off by the dots, which I wouldn't mind either as it'd be nice to see plant or animal family, which is pretty much all I ever want for taxonomically orienting myself. But considering how much use there is of tribes/subgenera/whatever for bugs, going all the way to family would probably make that top bar huge for some taxa.

cassi saari

Jan 30, 2019, 10:39:10 AM1/30/19
to iNaturalist
It's not that bad. I just keep it open/displayed all the time. It's a sticky setting.

cassi

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "iNaturalist" group.
2019-01-30 09_37_40-Subsection Alata (Sunshine Conebushes) · iNaturalist.org.png

William Hull

Jan 30, 2019, 12:33:25 PM1/30/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
You can click on the "..." after "Kingdom Animalia" to expand and show Class, Order, subtribe, etc.
Regards,
Bill Hull
Cincinnati, OH, USA

megatherium

Jan 30, 2019, 1:50:15 PM1/30/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Ah, so it is!  I hadn't noticed since I tend to sign in from a wide variety of devices/browsers, and it's not sticky between sessions.

Even Dankowicz

Jan 30, 2019, 2:54:46 PM1/30/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the feedback! I actually hadn't realized I could get it to open by clicking on the "....".

tony rebelo

Jan 31, 2019, 4:16:48 AM1/31/19
to iNaturalist
You could also go to the "Taxonomy" tab and see the structure laid out if you were on the taxon page.

What I would really appreciate is if the taxonomy strip (with dots and sticky full option) could also please be on the Community ID, just above the Identification, on the Observation page.  It would save having to go to the taxon page to see the tribe or family (or indeed any rank) when looking at some goggo or plant and trying to figure out what it is at the level an ignorami like me might recognize.  (Yes, you can click on About, and scroll down, but then you can also go the taxon page or google the wiki page)

PS: nice to see the Proteaceae feature as an example!

Chris Vynbos

Jan 31, 2019, 12:51:19 PM1/31/19
to iNaturalist

2019-01-31-19 48 39.jpg

Can someone explain to me what the link(?) icon does? I click it and nothing seems to change.

bouteloua

Jan 31, 2019, 1:55:45 PM1/31/19
to iNaturalist
I think it's just a link to the current page (icon=chain link). Not sure why it's there.

cassi

tony rebelo

Jan 31, 2019, 6:22:18 PM1/31/19
to iNaturalist
I suspect that it is the link to the taxon page in event that the taxon preheader is used elsewhere.  In this context it is redundant.