community ID bug

cray man

Oct 5, 2018, 6:47:44 PM10/5/18
to iNaturalist

There are 3 IDs for Gryllus lineaticeps and 2 IDs for Neonemobius, but the community ID is Gryllus lineaticeps.  Shouldn't it be the higher embracing taxon?

Scott Loarie

Oct 5, 2018, 7:41:52 PM10/5/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
The community ID is Superfamily Gylloidea
In this case the user has opted out of the CID so the obs is labeled and indexed under their ID: Gryllus lineaticeps
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 4.40.29 PM.png

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM cray man <danjoh...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are 3 IDs for Gryllus lineaticeps and 2 IDs for Neonemobius, but the community ID is Gryllus lineaticeps.  Shouldn't it be the higher embracing taxon?

Scott R. Loarie, Ph.D.
Co-director, iNaturalist.org
California Academy of Sciences
55 Music Concourse Dr
San Francisco, CA 94118

cray man

Oct 6, 2018, 12:13:03 AM10/6/18
to iNaturalist
This seems like a big problem.   This is a no-longer-active user with only 17 observations, yet he's forcing this bad ID to remain forever.  When I do an explore of Houston area gryllus species, this species shows up.  And there's nothing we can do about it?  I find the "Explore" feature very useful for understanding species that occur in an area.

Scott Loarie

Oct 6, 2018, 1:34:32 AM10/6/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
If you can shift the community ID to Gryllus lineaticeps, the observation will be come casual and it won't show up on default searches

Scott Loarie

Oct 6, 2018, 1:35:10 AM10/6/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I meant shift the community ID to Neonemobius

cray man

Oct 6, 2018, 10:08:48 AM10/6/18
to iNaturalist
Considering there are 3 people who who say Gryllus lineaticeps, won't it take a total of 7 people disagreeing to achieve this (5 additional people).  Notable is that Brandon Woo, the leading inat Orthoptera expert made the Neonemobius ID.

Ben Phalan

Oct 6, 2018, 6:04:26 PM10/6/18
to iNaturalist
The bug seems to be that this shows up on the map on the taxon page, despite the community ID being at superfamily level. Shouldn't the maps be based on community ID, not observation ID? I know this has been discussed before, but this example underlines the importance of either excluding such observations from the maps, or having a different colour/symbol for observations on maps that are not RG.