Children of places?

tony rebelo

Jan 23, 2019, 7:32:25 AM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
is there a way to find out which Places are within a Place, and more specifically which Places refer to a particular Place as their parent?

A workaround is to Explore with the Place filter set to your target, go to the Map Tab and select "Places of Interest".    But that is a las, and confined to 10 items!  is there not an elegant way to find them?

Chris Vynbos

Jan 23, 2019, 9:21:37 AM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
I agree that places can be hard to find. I searched for a place by name, couldn't find it, so created one, then discovered after laboriously drawing the polygon that  I had duplicated an existing place which was spelled slightly differently so didn't turn up in my name search.
I would like to be able to extract from an obs a list of all places that have 'collected' that obs.
First prize would be if that list of places existed alongside an interactive map, and as you scroll down the list, the map reveals the extend of each place.

Upupa epops

Jan 23, 2019, 8:09:38 PM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
If you click on the "Details" dropdown menu below the observation's map, it will give you lists of places that observation is inside of. If they are ordered based on size (I think at least the Community Curated list is) then that will also give you some idea of which places are inside which other places. You have to click on the name of the place to go to its observation page and see what its range actually is.

Chris Vynbos

Jan 23, 2019, 11:03:06 PM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
thanks Upupa, and I do know about that. As Tony said, the problem with it is that it is confined to 10 items, which is why i said  we need 'a list of all places that have 'collected' that obs."

Upupa epops

Jan 24, 2019, 7:30:54 AM1/24/19
to iNaturalist
Hmm, this observation has 20 community curated places listed for me: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/7506431