Snipets

kiwif...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2019, 4:38:31 PM1/11/19
to iNaturalist
Often I find myself typing the same thing, like "Only one species per observation", and I make this easier by putting it into a notepad file. I know of a lot of members doing similar things.

It occurred to me today that it would be so much easier if we had snipets built into the comments etc. For instance, I am typing out a reason for my Araujia identification, and it would be very handy if I could just type in "~araujia" and have that replaced with my snipet entry for araujia. If I have a regular welcome spiel that I give, I could set it up in the snipets and then enter "~welcome".

It would need some thought on it though, for instance:
 - does it get replaced with the snipet at the time you type it (ie when space or some other white space character completes the word) or;
 - do you need to right click and select "replace with snipet", or;
 - have it do the replace after the comment is entered (not ideal, what if it's not the snipet you thought you were using?)

I like the idea of being able to edit the snipet and tweak it. I also like the idea of not having to reach for a mouse or go to other pages/programs/files to get access to them, so the first option is to me the best. In my example I use the tilde character ~, but maybe some other character or combination of would be better.

Places that I could see this being useful are observation description, comments, ID comment field... in fact any memo or text type field. Perhaps it could be built into the behaviour of the object (memo) itself?

Maybe someone knows of a browser extension that provides this sort of functionality?