Higher-level taxon change leading to loss of Research Grade status

Jay Sulzmann

Sep 3, 2018, 9:21:46 AM9/3/18
to iNaturalist
I've noticed this glitch from time to time going through older observations in the "Needs ID" category. An observation goes through the typical sequence of being ID'ed first to order/family/genus level, and then to species ultimately achieving enough consensus to get to Research Grade. However, if there is a higher-level taxon change that does not affect the species ID, a new higher-level ID is automatically added to the observation causing an apparent disagreement and loss of RG status. Here's a good example: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/6257329

Of course, if I'm familiar enough with the species to confirm the ID, I'll simply agree with the previous species-level ID and it goes back to RG. But I'm sure there are a lot of older observations like this that hang out there for a long time until an expert comes across them. That makes sense if the taxon change affects the ID (e.g., 1 species split into 2 or more - which I know has been discussed in previous threads), but I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent the system from treating these higher-level swaps as if they were new, disagreeing IDs.