How does iNat select Community taxon ?

GanCW

Jan 17, 2019, 6:02:35 AM1/17/19
to iNaturalist
I have this observation where there is no disagreement and I thought the community taxon should be the highest taxon,  in this case species id (Varcia pyramidalis) which has a score of 1 but iNat uses a higher taxon (Family Nogodinidae) as the community id.

Can someone explain how iNat arrives at the community taxon and what is 'Below Cutoff' ?

ID-Agreement-obs-9679601.JPG

Mark Tutty

Jan 17, 2019, 6:13:38 AM1/17/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

At the time I looked at this, everything was suggesting the correct CID except the chart. Screenshot attached in case someone adds or changes it before someone gets to look at this.

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com

CID prob.jpg
ID-Agreement-obs-9679601.JPG

tony rebelo

Jan 18, 2019, 1:58:42 AM1/18/19
to iNaturalist
Seems OK now.
This often happens when the taxonomy is revised.  It takes a while for all the indices to be updated, especially when lots of observations are involved.  A recent mammal change took over 3 hours to fix all the indices and give the correct community ID, during which it showed this anomaly.
If you notice this again, give the system a few hours to update and check again.  In all cases I have noticed the system fixed itself without needing interventions.

GanCW

Jan 20, 2019, 4:05:33 AM1/20/19
to iNaturalist
Noted.

GanCW

Jan 22, 2019, 9:38:21 AM1/22/19
to iNaturalist
I have another observation with the same issue and this one has been ided 2 days ago

debug-20190122a.JPG

debug-20190122b.JPG

Jeremy Hussell

Jan 22, 2019, 11:36:15 AM1/22/19
to iNaturalist
This one is a different problem: iNaturalist doesn't handle subspecies the same way as it does other levels in the taxonomy. In this case, one subspecies ID won't bring the ID from a higher level to the species level. (I think you need two?) I'm unsure why this case isn't handled in a sensible way. I guess it's a bug.

In the past, I've also seen that research-grade observations ID'd to subspecies can't be added to projects which require their observations be on their list of species. E.g. an observation ID'd as Buteo lagopus ssp. sanctijohannis can't be added to a project which accepts observations of Buteo lagopus.

Mark Tutty

Jan 22, 2019, 9:59:58 PM1/22/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

That last point is strange... I was under the impression adding a higher level taxa would pick up all descendant taxa. Or is it because of the ssp levels not being included in that?

It has always irked me that project species page (ie species view of the observations) shows the species taxa, not the ssp. When viewing a project species view in NZ, for instance, Morepork are shown as boobook, and everyone scratches their heads when they see that one!

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 4:20:34 AM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
Use Places if you need subspecies (and select Taxon = leaves).
But the subspecies levels (i.e. below subspecies) are very buggy in many regards.  They dont work properly on the filters, they dont show up in the identotron and so forth.  Most unfortunate.

GanCW

Jan 23, 2019, 10:20:31 PM1/23/19
to iNaturalist
I would think this is a bud. Giving a subspecies id should automatically pick up the species id.