Request: additional method for curating taxon photos

Jane Widness

Jan 15, 2019, 9:29:56 PM1/15/19
to iNaturalist
I fairly often find someone posts a nice clear shot of a taxon that already has many photos.  When I go to Curation->Edit Photos it then becomes a challenge to find this nice photo in all the other images.  It's an even bigger problem if the original poster misidentified the species and I have to back up to a genus search to look for the image or wait for a confirming ID.  Could we maybe be able to add taxon photos by the image number (i.e. https://www.inaturalist.org/photos/XXXXXXX)?

robert archer

Jan 16, 2019, 5:00:29 AM1/16/19
to iNaturalist
Then I will come along and perhaps notice that the Image is not from a research grade Observation and remove it. It is better to invite a top identifier in the group to confirm.

bouteloua

Jan 16, 2019, 9:04:20 AM1/16/19
to iNaturalist
Yes, searching by photo number would be really helpful.

cassi

Reuven Martin

Jan 16, 2019, 9:45:00 AM1/16/19
to iNaturalist
Yeah, I find setting taxon photos is very frustrating right now. Not being able to find a specific photo is the biggest annoyance.
The other issue is that there is no way to preview how a default photo will look when cropped to a square, and it seems to take a few minutes to update the picture throughout the site so you can actually check.

There are a lot of default photos I'd like to see updated but haven't because the process is really annoying.

jdmore

Jan 17, 2019, 4:06:08 AM1/17/19
to iNaturalist
I while ago I discovered quite by accident that searching by observation number (not image number) almost always works when entered into the taxon search box when curating taxon photos.  It will pull up all images attached to that observation, which greatly shortens the search.

Jane Widness

Jan 17, 2019, 12:42:28 PM1/17/19
to iNaturalist
Oh, great tip!  That's basically as good as searching by photo number.  Though after Reuven mentioned it, I realized the cropping is kind of annoying, it would be nice to have a solution for that too.

jdmore

Jan 17, 2019, 2:20:00 PM1/17/19
to iNaturalist
Yes, when possible for best cropping results I try to pick photos that are in landscape (horizontal) format, avoid really long (4:9) phone images, and look for images with well-centered features.