Identify tab should display "placeholder" in place of unknown

Nancy Asquith

Dec 9, 2018, 3:56:54 PM12/9/18
to iNaturalist
If iNaturalist plans to continue letting observers type in "placeholders" these placeholders should replace "Unknown" when the photo is displayed for identification. They are usually helpful. Otherwise, if placeholders serve no real purpose, maybe get rid of the placeholder option.

PS: It would also be helpful if the pop-ups in Identify showed at least the first few words of any comments the observer included. Thanks.

Mark Tutty

Dec 9, 2018, 5:34:50 PM12/9/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

It does show the placeholder. Unless it has changed recently?

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com

Mark Tutty

Dec 9, 2018, 5:42:28 PM12/9/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com

Yep, just tested it... and it does show placeholder. But only if they enter one, and when entering the observation it asks if you want to add the name as a placeholder, so maybe the majority of people say “no “ to that, or just don’t bother even trying to put something.

cheers
Mark Tutty
kiwif...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2018, 8:24:19 PM12/9/18
to iNaturalist
It hasn't changed. The placeholder name is in teeny-tiny faded print next to a large "Unknown." I think it would be better if it automatically showed up in the main ID section. I don't know if that's possible, but it would make the placeholders harder to miss and inadvertently delete.

Nancy Asquith

Dec 9, 2018, 10:08:36 PM12/9/18
to iNaturalist
Mark, thanks for your input, but I think we are looking at different stages of the ID process.

When you click on the Identify tab, 30 photos are displayed. Each has the common and Latin names displayed below the photo if there is a suggested ID. If there is a "placeholder" but no suggested ID, it simply reads "Unknown."  The feature I was requesting was for the placeholder to be displayed below the word "Unknown" to help the prospective identifier decide whether to open the observation.

BTW, the decision to click on one of the 30 observations per page has some significance because I will get updates on my dashboard for anything I open, if do not make an ID or offer a comment.

tony rebelo

Dec 10, 2018, 1:43:02 AM12/10/18
to iNaturalist
" because I will get updates on my dashboard for anything I open,"

I dont think that that is correct. only those that you contribute to (by adding an ID, or comment), or fave or click follow, will appear in your dashboard (and of course any taxa and places your are subscribing to, and users you are following).
If you open and look, but do not contribute, then they will not appear in your dashboard.
You can also switch off agreements if you find that they clutter your dashboard.