[Request] Ability to filter out "opted out of community ID"

Krissa Klein

Jan 28, 2019, 4:03:25 PM1/28/19
to iNaturalist
I've been trying to work through the backlog of "unknown" observation and give them at least a general ID. However, I keep running across the "opted out of community ID" observations, which I can only see after I've put in an ID and it stays at "unknown". I'd like a way to filter out any opt-out observations, so I don't waste my time trying to ID it to no result.

jesse rorabaugh

Jan 29, 2019, 12:11:26 AM1/29/19
to iNaturalist
I would go further than this, after two or three identical identifications an "unknown" which has opted out of community id should be tagged as casual. Otherwise as time passes these are going to get more and more in the way of people sorting through those observations.

Better yet, remove the opt out of community id tag after a year or two of inactivity from an account.

Charlie Hohn

Jan 29, 2019, 7:47:14 AM1/29/19
to iNaturalist
well, if it isn't identifiable you can also mark as no further ID needed

============================
Charlie Hohn
Montpelier, Vermont

marigo...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2019, 10:43:50 AM1/29/19
to iNaturalist
What is the reason for having a  "opted out of community ID" option? Does it fill a real need for someone?

Charlie Hohn

Jan 29, 2019, 11:01:36 AM1/29/19
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
I use it on a case by case basis because one rogue person can totally wreck your IDs otherwise. Though to be honest in my opinion having it as a setting for all observations causes more problems than it solves.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:43 AM <marigo...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is the reason for having a  "opted out of community ID" option? Does it fill a real need for someone?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

paloma

Jan 29, 2019, 11:13:00 AM1/29/19
to iNaturalist
The only way I know to accomplish what you're asking, Krissa, is to set up a collection project which allows you to exclude multiple users, and then add observers to the list as you discover they have opted out generally. It wouldn't exclude observations that have selectively been designated as opt-outs, but it could work for the observers who opt-out on all their observations.

bouteloua

Jan 29, 2019, 1:01:38 PM1/29/19
to iNaturalist
Krissa, once two users add IDs, the observation changes from Needs ID to Casual grade. This then removes it from the default Identify page. So, please don't consider it a waste of time to add IDs to these because it 1) does register for the community ID and 2) removes them from the Needs ID pool, helping future identifiers from spending time going over them.

test/example: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/19951106 see community ID on the right side

At this time it's not possible to search by "Observation ID" vs. "Community ID", but the developers could (should...!) add this in the future, and the observations would be useful at that time.

cassi