Using Location to Help With Suggested IDs?

Chris Thawley

Jul 23, 2018, 9:37:47 PM7/23/18
to iNaturalist
So I know that location is used to determine suggested IDs because I can see that species suggested at the top of the list often say "Seen Nearby".

However, I also see suggested ID's for species that are visually similar but geographically quite distinct. For instance, in anoles, where I ID the most, many suggestions for anoles observed in the US are for species that are restricted to islands in the Caribbean or Central/South America and have never been seen in the US but are indeed visually similar (they are anoles after all!).

I think these suggested IDs are the reason we actually get a few recurring IDs for Clouded Anoles in the US (a somewhat species restricted to the Pacific side of Mexico) as well as anoles (and other lizards) from Florida IDed as Western Fence Lizards (Sceloporus occidentalis) despite the fact that this species only occurs in the Western US. Interestingly, it's rarer to find a misID as an eastern fence lizard, which would make a bit more sense as they co-occur in Florida, but westerns seem to be suggested more. In these examples, the mistaken IDs are pretty easy to spot and generally to correct as well, so it's not a huge problem, but I wonder if this might be an issue in other parts of iNat or worth addressing?

It might be easy to add a "not found nearby" bit of text in the suggestion box or something else to let folks know that the suggestion may have a low probability of being correct or to take a second look.

I do think that it's worth keeping the suggested ID's of species that aren't nearby, though as they should help ID rare migrants or invasives that might be at low density in a given area, and these ID's can be quite valuable.

jdmore

Jul 24, 2018, 3:37:07 AM7/24/18
to iNaturalist
I agree that "Not Seen Nearby" would be even more informative than "Seen Nearby," since in some cases Seen Nearby could be based on misidentifications of the exact kind you are talking about.

Also, could staff or someone clarify whether "Seen Nearby" is based on Research Grade observations only, or on any old observation that happens to be close?

--Jim Morefield

Tony Iwane

Jul 24, 2018, 11:49:40 PM7/24/18
to iNaturalist
Hi Jim,

"Seen Nearby" searches for Research Grade observations - excepting the observation in question - within 100km of the requested coordinates and 45 days before and after the date specified (if there is one).

Tony Iwane

Chris Cheatle

Jul 26, 2018, 1:55:58 PM7/26/18
to iNaturalist
One comment about the 45 days threshold. It works well for year round residents, however many species, insects being a good example have highly seasonal periods. For example, there are over 500 records of Sympetrum vicinum in Ontario, which has a highly seasonal flight period. Yet every new year it wont come up as a seen nearby suggestion until a new record for the current year, and nearby geography is entered.

Tony Iwane

Jul 26, 2018, 2:50:56 PM7/26/18
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I believe it's 45 days before and after the date in question, regardless of calendar year. So it's saying "this has been seen nearby during this time of year".

Tony Iwane

Chris Cheatle

Jul 26, 2018, 3:08:53 PM7/26/18
to iNaturalist
OK, then there is something else going on in the observation I saw which prompted me to write this.

This observation (the ID is wrong but ignore that) : https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/14752167

In the suggestions when you run it, it gives several regionally appropriate choices marked as seen neary such as A. cyanea and A. affinis. However, A. mixta is listed but not indicated as seen nearby (sorry I cant do a screenprint the suggestions dialog closes when I try to switch to my snip tool, but you can run the suggest an ID)

Yet this observation exists, which is research grade, maybe 10 kilometers away and certainly less than 45 days measured that way (July 26th vs August 9th), but not the same calendar year : https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9509521

The record is 6 months old - is the "seen nearby" only refreshed infrequently ? That seems an unlikely approach.

So is there some other criteria not being met that results in no "Seen Nearby" for A. mixta here ?