Putting my boat on the hard for 2 years

Robin Bigio

Jun 24, 2024, 7:11:49 PM (12 days ago) Jun 24
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
My family and I are contemplating a sabbatical for a couple of years, moving from California to Barcelona. We are most likely going to come back to the Bay Area when the time is up, and would like to keep our Nonsuch ZOE on the hard to reduce costs while we are away.

The most likely location of the boat storage is Napa, here is weather summary in case it's helpful:

Napa, California experiences a mild Mediterranean climate characterized by warm, dry summers and cool, wet winters. Average daily high temperatures range from the mid-50s°F (13-15°C) in winter to the upper 80s°F (30-32°C) in summer. Rainfall occurs primarily between November and March, with an annual average of approximately 27 inches (685 mm). The summer season, from June to September, is typically dry and sunny. Spring and fall have moderate temperatures and fewer rainy days.

I'd love to get this group's wisdom on:
  1. What are the recommended steps for preparing my boat for long-term storage on the hard?
  2. Are there specific cleaning or maintenance tasks that should be completed beforehand?
  3. What kinds of protective covers, if any, are recommended for long-term storage?
  4. How often should I check on the boat during the storage period?
  5. What routine maintenance should be performed while the boat is in storage?
  6. Are there insurance policies that are best suited for long-term on-the-hard storage?
  7. Are there any legal considerations or documentation needed for this type of storage?
Thank you all 🙏
Robin

Robin Bigio
Zoe, 30U #307
San Francisco, CA

Ernie Abugov P/O NS22 o/b #56 "Moustaches"

Jun 24, 2024, 8:01:26 PM (12 days ago) Jun 24
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Barcelona, eh ??!!  NICE.

Before a lot of folks weigh in with LOTS of good ideas, one thing that is truly important is that the interior of the boat (the cabin and everywhere throughout the cabin) gets to breathe. Find a way with cord, etc.) to tie all of your opening ports so that they are open just a crack (like a few mm). If you have a solar powered extraction fan (like a NIcro mounted on an overhead hatch) make sure it's running. You could also leave your thru hulls for the sink drains open so air can flow thru them.

We, up here in the Great White North, put our boats on the hard for half a year (over the winter) in many places. The reason that we make sure our boats can breath fresh air is to prevent mildew. Very nasty, that. You don't need a ton of air flow - just a bit is fine. One NS26 owner up here simply removes his thru-hull sounders (depth, speed, etc.), leaving a few "holes" in the bilge. This also allows moisture, water, etc. to drain out of the bilge.

The truth is if I was leaving a boat on the hard for 2 years (even in California) I'd get it professionally shrink wrapped with a few ports in the wrap to let air in and out and a zippered door to get inside of her. Shrink wrapping the boat will keep it WAY cleaner, dryer, etc. It will also mask any "interesting" (stealable) accesories from taking a walk.

In my (strong) opinion, Robin, especially for 2 years, I'd unstep the mast. Your boat will love you as it will suffer NO straining whatsoever around the mast collar and foredeck. And, look up rolls of long "bagging" plastic so you can have a plastic sleeve cover your mast to protect it from 63 lbs. of creature droppings as it sits for 2 years. NO fun to get that mess off.

If you are going to be in Barcelona (or somewhere far away), will you be "deputising" someone to check in on the boat ??

Ernie A. in Toronto

BRIAN CAYER

Jun 25, 2024, 1:12:16 AM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Robin,
Sell the boat and buy another when you return.
Brian

Ernie Abugov P/O NS22 o/b #56 "Moustaches"

Jun 25, 2024, 8:40:06 AM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
On reflection, Robin, I would agree with Mr. Cayer. If you are going off on a 2 year sabbatical with your family .... (a fairly long period) ...  there are many possibilities that your your plans will change/could change, etc. That is called life (with many variables) and I know that you have the maturity and grey matter to understand what I (and Brian) are getting at. Don't saddle yourself with a boat on the hard to worry/think about, etc. Sell her while she's in the water and you can offer test sails, etc.

IF, when you return, you miss her ..... well, buy another boat. I am older than you and, believe me, LOTS can change over the time that you are away.

I'm not counseling you to sell your house. I'm just agreeing with Brian in that you should sell your boat (and, just maybe, your car).

Best of luck with your adventure.

Ernie A. in Toronto

Mike BIANKA

Jun 25, 2024, 3:06:45 PM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I plan on putting BIANKA on the hard for a season in a few years. I plan to shrink wrap and install some 12 volt fans hooked up to some my portable solar panels to keep the air moving in the cabin as Ernie mentioned. I always unstep the mast when the boat is on the hard.

Mike
BIANKA
1986 30U
Long Island

Thor (26C Brentwood Bay BC)

Jun 30, 2024, 12:52:33 PM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
You need to have the engine treated for long term storage. Contact the manufacturer for more information on what needs to be done

Ken Dakin

Jun 30, 2024, 6:25:23 PM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
To Thor’s post I will add the transmission. I know my Hurth transmission manual recommends that the transmission be fully filled with the correct ATF for long term storage.

Ken Dakin
NS 33 #7
Sashay
Kingston ON
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 30, 2024, at 12:52 PM, Thor (26C Brentwood Bay BC) <thor....@gmail.com> wrote:

You need to have the engine treated for long term storage. Contact the manufacturer for more information on what needs to be done

BRIAN CAYER

Jul 3, 2024, 6:45:49 PM (3 days ago) Jul 3
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Robin,
What does ZOE mean in your book?
I have an idea but don’t really know.
Brian
Spirit~Wind

Robin Bigio

BRIAN CAYER

Jul 3, 2024, 7:16:05 PM (3 days ago) Jul 3
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Ok, just asking because I seem to recognize ( and I may be wrong ) ZOE as being a word that C.S. Lewis (minor apologist and author of many books including The Narina  Cronicals )coined as meaning all things God as opposed to all things natural.
God speed on your plans.

Brian
Spirit~Wind

On Jul 3, 2024, at 6:51 PM, Robin Bigio <robin...@gmail.com> wrote: