Engine access

Roger Peebles

Jun 8, 2024, 2:57:15 PMJun 8
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
All my days of boat ownership I have craved an engine easily accessed! Maybe even the tranny and shaft seal? What a dream!

Well this is not it! I will appreciate tips and tricks and mods that might make access easier. I'm dealing with a Yanmar 3 GM and need to replace the starter for starters.

Somewhere in there

yanmar.jpg

How about a removable section of the cockpit floor?

Anyway all suggestions are appreciated.

Roger
Tranquility 30C #240
Port Aransas, TX

Joe Valinoti

Jun 8, 2024, 3:06:17 PMJun 8
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Of all the boats I’ve ever delivered or drove, the J36 was the easiest.  It sat right in the middle of the main saloon.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

yanmar.jpg

Mike BIANKA

Jun 8, 2024, 5:54:57 PMJun 8
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I feel your anguish. I had enough boat Yoga working on the iron pig diesel in my 30U over the years. Pulled it out put in a LEMCO electric motor in 2008. Put in a 105 amp 48 volt Lithium battery last year. Now all maintenance is done from inside the cabin.

You might want to consider removing the engine and working on it on a proper work bench. Since you have a straight line shaft it should be easier to remove than the V-drive was on my 30U.  Personally as I get older it's all about comfort. :)

Mike
BIANKA
1986 30U
Long Island

Chrisinwilson

Jun 18, 2024, 12:42:31 PMJun 18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
My last boat was an older Jeanneau. It also had a yanmar 3gm. I loved that engine. I ended up cutting access ports around the engine. The other day I was looking at my 1980 30C. I believe I can cut an access port in both starboard and port quarter berths. Just be careful of any wires.