How to remove steering quadrant?

Surendira Siva

Jun 21, 2024, 8:42:07 PMJun 21
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
We are midway into replacing the rudder.

But we got stuck with removing the steering quadrant.

We removed the 4 nuts that’s on the crown of the steering quadrant.

Not sure what’s the next step. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Siva

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)

Jun 21, 2024, 11:32:38 PMJun 21
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Siva,

There's a document on www.Nonsuch.org under MEMBERS TIPS AND PROJECTS called, "Resealing Rudder Post Tube," that describes how to detach and drop the rudder as part of another maintenance task.  You might try reviewing that to see if it mentions anything you've missed.  I think it's the next to last in the list; it was posted in Jan 2020.

-- Bob
   Me Gusta
   Nonsuch e26U #233
   Looking forward to seeing folks in Toronto:
        https://nonsuch.org/2024-INA-International-Rendezvous-Status

John Barbour - Nature 26U Toronto

Jun 22, 2024, 2:14:06 PM (14 days ago) Jun 22
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I  believe there are two nuts and bolts on the outer rim of the quadrant, They prevent the outer edge of the quadrant oint from moving.
John Barbour
Nonsuch 26 Nature
Toronto

John Barbour - Nature 26U Toronto

Jun 22, 2024, 2:23:35 PM (14 days ago) Jun 22
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
My May  2022 posting on how I removed my rudder, (search  Barbour rudder) might give you some ideas.
To lift the rudder, I made a fitting to screw onto the top of the rudder so I could pull it up using the main halyard
Getting the rudder shaft to enter the top bearing was frustrating.  Finally  I used the emergency tiller to wiggle the shaft around until it finally entered the bearing

John Barbour
Nonsuch 26 Nature
Toronto