Clamshell vent cover

Mark Nerenhausen

Jun 29, 2024, 9:13:03 AM (7 days ago) Jun 29
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
The clamshell vent cover broke off yesterday (the plastic is just old and brittle). Mine just slid on to the vent but all the covers I seem to be able to find are secured by screws.  Does anyone have s source for the simple slide on covers

Mark Nerenhausen
Penguin  NS26C  #174
Washington Island, WI

Mark Powers La Reina 26C Vancouver, B.C.

Jun 29, 2024, 2:49:53 PM (7 days ago) Jun 29
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group

I did a quick search and Beckson may make what you need. Home Depot even advertises them.
I searched under clam shell vent slide on plastic boat

I have a couple in the crawl space but I have no idea what shipping cost would be and they will are old so don’t know how well they will stand up.

Mark Powers

Mark Powers La Reina 26C Vancouver, B.C.

Jun 29, 2024, 2:56:46 PM (7 days ago) Jun 29
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Mark
PS, I replaced the original vent covers with stainless steel ones that required screws. The cockpit sides are solid glass so no issue with putting small screws hole in it. Generally you can find stainless vents for less than the cost of the plastic ones and maybe less than shipping costs.
Mark Powers

Mark Nerenhausen

Jun 29, 2024, 4:12:36 PM (7 days ago) Jun 29
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
thanks for the advice.  I saw the stainless on line and was thinking of them but had not gotten around to checking on the length of the screws.  Glad to know they work.  I think I will go that route, especially since the plastic were not that attractive and were pretty fragile.  thanks again for the help

Mark Powers La Reina 26C Vancouver, B.C.

Jun 30, 2024, 3:01:02 PM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I think I used No.6 screws no more than 1/2" in length.

Mark Powers

Michael Stangl

Jun 30, 2024, 9:15:36 PM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Can you tell me where you purchased the stainless steel vent covers from? I need to replace them on my NS30U, too.

Thanks,

Mike

Mariposa
NS30U / Hull #272
Dutch Harbor, RI

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)

Jul 1, 2024, 1:39:11 PM (5 days ago) Jul 1
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
If you don't get a good answer from someone who's purchased them recently, try searching on-line for anyone who sells Attwood, Perko, or Seadog stainless steel clamshell vents.  They're among the name brand manufacturers.  West Marine also sells them, but doesn't say who makes them.

-- Bob
   Me Gusta
   Nonsuch e26U #233
   Looking forward to seeing folks in Toronto:
        https://nonsuch.org/2024-INA-International-Rendezvous-Status

Bruce Clark

Jul 1, 2024, 4:23:54 PM (5 days ago) Jul 1
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if I have mentioned this before but I bought five 316 stainless vents from a company called Tuopo through AliBaba. Quality is outstanding and the price including shipping was similar to the PVC ones in marine stores.  Their customer service in English was very good. I got vents, bases, covers, and a tool to tighten cover. Had many favourable comments.

Fran Trapp

Jul 4, 2024, 12:03:42 AM (2 days ago) Jul 4
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I purchased clam shell and cowl vents for Spirit from Marine Depot Direct.  I have not installed them yet.  They look great.  Great price.

Fran Trapp
S/V Spirit, NS 30C  106
Lake Murray, SC