How does this work?

Bob Gehrman

Jul 5, 2024, 2:07:16 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm

Bob Gehrman
NS36 #52 “Fortunate”
Greenwich Bay, RI

Pat Furr

Jul 5, 2024, 2:12:25 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
It looks like that turning block is mounted 180 degrees out. The sheet shoul run through the body of the block in a manner that it is captive.

Pat Furr
NS 26C #133 “Bandolero”
Rye, NH

Daniel Weinstein

Jul 5, 2024, 3:27:57 PM (18 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Bob- Unfortunately, I think the answer to your question is "not well."  I expect Pat is correct- that it was mounted incorrectly, and previous owner(s) made due.  That's what happened with the reefing blocks on my boom.  Fortunately, the replacements I selected fit some prior holes so I got lucky.
-Dan Weinstein
Look Farther, 30C #205
East Greenwich RI

doncr...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2024, 3:29:04 PM (18 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

My boat has a cleat between the turning block and the winch, but I never use it. I think the jammer on your turning block could prove problematic or unreliable. Why not just remove it from the block?

Don

’87 NS30U #369 - Breezin’

Vancouver, BC

On Friday, July 5, 2024 at 2:12:25PM UTC-4 Pat Furr wrote:

It looks like that turning block is mounted 180 degrees out. The sheet shoul run through the body of the block in a manner that it is captive.

Pat Furr

NS 26C #133 “Bandolero”

Rye, NH

On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 2:07PM Bob Gehrman <b...@gehrman.net> wrote:

Hmmm

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Bob Gehrman

NS36 #52 “Fortunate”

Greenwich Bay, RI

~WRD0004.jpg

Brian M. Godfrey

Jul 5, 2024, 3:47:00 PM (18 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
   Yeah, I was really scratching my head over that cleat.  Is he going to have to uncleat that (really nice, new) sheet every time he wants to let it out a bit?  Seems too fussy.  There's a cleat on top of the winch that should hold it just fine as long as you've got enough turns on.
   If the block was oriented correctly (turned around) the lead to the cleat might be correct, but I agree with Dan that it probably makes more sense to just remove it.  Then you'd have a functional system and could sail the boat.  You could worry about replacing things later if necessary.

--Brian M. Godfrey
  br...@wildbirdshop.com

Bob Neches (Me Gusta, Nonsuch 26U #233)

Jul 5, 2024, 3:57:12 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
This looks wrong on so many aspects, frankly.

Sorry for being free with spending your money, but I'd suggest replacing it with something like the $125 Garhauer Foot Block with Clutch SC-03 C: https://www.garhauermarine.com/shop/deck-blocks-hardware-mast-boom-blocks-hardware/foot-blocks-with-clutch/foot-block-with-clutch-sc-03-c/

I put the less expensive, smaller 60 mm Antal footblock clutch on my 26 (https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/category/Antal-Blocks-Footblocks.html), and am very happy with it.  The Garhauer I'm recommending is their smallest and won't fit on an N26 coaming but easily does on a N36.

But, the safe working load on that Antal is less than half the Garhauer (1760 vs. 4000 lbs.) and I'd want the higher SWL for a N36.

-- Bob
   Me Gusta
   Nonsuch e26U #233
   Looking forward to seeing folks in Toronto:
        https://nonsuch.org/2024-INA-International-Rendezvous-Status

Bob Gehrman

Jul 5, 2024, 6:41:59 PM (15 hours ago) Jul 5
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I figured that it would work much better turned around 180 degrees. I just don’t know how the PO used that at all to sail the boat. The main sheet block didn’t even have any purchase on the blocks. I would imagine the sheet falling off of that cheek block on every tack.

Shake down sail tomorrow. Wish me luck!