New Fuel Tank

Charles Garbarino

Jun 25, 2024, 10:52:31 AM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
It was time.  I was getting about a 1/4 cup of fuel a week in the bilge.  Checked every line and filter housing.  I stuck an absorbant pad in the gap and the next day it was pink.  I am planning on repowering this winter and thought I could hold off until then.  Then we had 2 quarts in the bilge in a week.  It was no longer pin holes.

Getting the tank out of the 30U was a nightmare.  It was obvious that it was installed prior to the engine.  It is too tall for the lazarette opening.  16 inches trying to fit through a 14 1/2 inch opening.  If I twisted it at an angle, it still would not go through.  After a few profanity laden discussions with myself, I ended up cutting three notches for the three corners that were getting caught.  When the trim around the lazarette opening is put back in place the notches will not be visible.

The welder I brought it to just moved his business and his car lifts had not been installed yet.  He was limited to small projects until then.  The turnaround was 3 days.  He did a pressure test with a dye and found several holes.  When he prepped the seam for the new weld he found pin holes and thin areas more than an inch away from the seam.  He said that if he repaired what he saw, he could not gaurantee that we would not be pulling it out next year.  He picked up the materials and had a new tank built and pressure tested in an afternoon.

I went through several posts recommending repair vs the cost of replacement, but it was not an option here.  It went from a few hundred in repais to 4 times the price for the new tank.  After the repower in the winter, she should be ready for another 40 years.  I would rather not have to worry about it.

Chuck Garbarino
As You Wish
N30U #292
Sodus Point, NY
20240625_094900.jpg
.jpg
20240625_094926.jpg

Mike BIANKA

Jun 25, 2024, 1:26:28 PM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Might want to install an inspection port while your at it. Make it a large one so you can clean out the fuel tank occasionally.

Mike
BIANKA 1986 30U
Long Island

Julie & Lloyd on Rendezvous

Jun 25, 2024, 6:52:30 PM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
We had contaminated fuel this year and pumped out and disposed of the fuel, pulled the tank, and thought we had a company to put a port in and clean the tank.  Turns out they would only put a port in (@ $250).  I could not find a place to clean the tank and did not particularly want to clean it myself.  And my wife did not want me to do it.  (Where do you get rid of the gunk you take out, the potential for a mess, etc.)  Found a place on Long Island, NY (Alloy Metal Works) which would build me a new one for $15/gal, minimum of $500.  Includes a baffle and a 6" port in the center thru which I should be able to access the whole tank.  Kind of hated to toss an old tank that was still serviceable, but it just makes sense to replace it at this time.

Had no real problems taking the old out other than I should have taken the fuel pickup valve off before I pulled it out.  That kept me from removing the tank and then I needed someone with longer arms and a longer wrench to remove the valve.  Otherwise, pulled the tank myself.  Took off the the locker seat (did not want that coming down on on me) and unscrewed the fuel gauge.  Moved one of my four batteries a bit.  Otherwise it was no big deal.

My old tank was just sitting on the fiberglass hull.  Do I just put the new tank in or put it onto something?  I was thinking of using an old yoga mat, but while that would provide a bit of cushion, am afraid it would absorb water and cause problems.

Waiting for the new tank - 3-4 week back log.  Have a temp tank that has been set up which is working fine, but no long trips (only has 3 gallons in it).

lloyd herman
Rendezvous 1987 30U
Port Washington, NY

Ward Woodruff

Jun 25, 2024, 8:13:30 PM (11 days ago) Jun 25
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Lloyd,

When I replaced the fuel tank in my 33, I glued 1/4” thick G10 fiberglass strips to the tank bottom with 3M 5200 to provide an air space between the aluminum tank and the fiberglass hull.

There was evidence that the old tank had spent time in saltwater. The compartment in which the tank resided was watertite. I drilled a hole in the bulkhead between the tank compartment and the engine compartment, at the low point, to prevent the bathtub effect.

I expect that between the G10 strips and the lack of long term immersion potential that the new tank will outlast the boat.

Ward Woodruff
N33 #8 Margery
Niantic Bay, CT

On Jun 25, 2024, at 6:52 PM, 'Julie & Lloyd on Rendezvous' via INA Nonsuch Discussion Group <INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

We had contaminated fuel this year and pumped out and disposed of the fuel, pulled the tank, and thought we had a company to put a port in and clean the tank.  Turns out they would only put a port in (@ $250).  I could not find a place to clean the tank and did not particularly want to clean it myself.  And my wife did not want me to do it.  (Where do you get rid of the gunk you take out, the potential for a mess, etc.)  Found a place on Long Island, NY (Alloy Metal Works) which would build me a new one for $15/gal, minimum of $500.  Includes a baffle and a 6" port in the center thru which I should be able to access the whole tank.  Kind of hated to toss an old tank that was still serviceable, but it just makes sense to replace it at this time.
Message has been deleted

Charles Garbarino

Jun 28, 2024, 1:39:41 PM (8 days ago) Jun 28
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Attached are photos of the new tank in place and of the lazarette opening minus the wood trim.

the lazarette photo shows the three areas I needed to cut notches to ge the tank out.  I have a handful of small glass projcts to do.  That will just be added to the list.  The trim pieces cover the notches, but for 2 of them I comprimized the screw holes.  I plan to put a small strip of glass under it and use thickened epoxy or resin to build it up and make it even.  Then re-drill my screw holes.

Overall, I am glad we have the 30 gallon tank.  I was wishing it was only 15 when I was trying to remove it.

Chuck Garbarino
As You Wish
N30U #292
Sodus Point, NY

20240626_095151.jpg
20240626_105457.jpg

Charles Garbarino

Jun 28, 2024, 1:39:41 PM (8 days ago) Jun 28
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

My tank is 30 gallons.  Hence the difficulty removing it. When I put the tank in tomorrow I'll share a photo of the glass I had to cut away.

Chuck Garbarino
As You Wish
N30U

Sodus Point, NY

Julie & Lloyd on Rendezvous

Jun 30, 2024, 3:37:03 PM (6 days ago) Jun 30
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Ward - thanks for the idea of using G10 to elevate the tank a tiny bit to allow water to escape.  Problem with gluing anything to the tank is that it is a very tight fit.  While I managed to take the tank out without cutting fiberglass, Chuck G was not so fortunate.  His boat is a couple years older than mine - did the factory change things a bit or was I just lucky?  I did not even take off the teak trim, but did take off the seat.

I may glass in some G10 strips to the hull to place the tank on.  Should serve the same purpose and not hinder my ability to get the tank into the compartment.

Good luck with things, Chuck.  You are ahead of me in the process!

lloyd herman
Rendezvous, 30U 1987
Port Washington, NY