A/B Switch Failure?

Ken Julian

Jun 30, 2024, 9:35:05 AMJun 30
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Has anyone had their A/B switch fail?

Mine doesn't shut off power to my panel anymore in the OFF position.  Haven't checked the starter circuit yet.

I did recently shifted everything in my battery compartment forward but am sure the switch was shutting everything down properly after I did the relocation.

The switch is probably original (1981) and I didn't notice the manufacturer.

Ken Julian
Blue Note NS26C#9
Fredericton, NB

Joe Valinoti

Jun 30, 2024, 10:06:16 AMJun 30
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Are we talking about a 3 position battery switch as in #1 – #2 – BOTH & OFF??  If so, simply disconnect the wire going to the panel at the switch.  It should be red and the smaller of the several there.  If the panel is now dead, it’s the switch.  However, these switches don’t have a high failure rate.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

Thor (26C Brentwood Bay BC)

Jun 30, 2024, 12:49:16 PMJun 30
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
A 43 year old switch carrying large current loads. The spring could be weakened, corrosion. Personally I’d replace it theses items don’t last forever and they fail slowly

Ken Julian

Jun 30, 2024, 3:07:58 PMJun 30
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Yes, it is that type of switch, Joe, and I will do that test.

Thank you both for your comments and suggestions.

Ken Julian
Blue Note - NS26C#9
Fredericton, NB