Hurth Transmission Cooler Needed

Bob Gehrman

Jun 17, 2024, 1:04:47 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Last weekend I was replacing water hoses on the engine and the hose attached to the Hurth transmission heater sheared off the hose nipple. It was pretty corroded. I'm looking for a replacement if anyone happens to have one or knows where to get one?

This is an HBW 150V.

Thanks

Bob Gehrman
NS36 #52 "Fortunate"
Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island

Bob Gehrman

Jun 17, 2024, 1:10:27 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
image.png

Bill Kroes

Jun 17, 2024, 2:08:09 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Bob
I’m surprised that you have an oil cooler on your Hurth transmission.  The manual specifies it is only required for very specific reasons including high ambient temperature operation or where it is used continuously under high power especially when shifting position B is used for the main direction of movement (I believe shift position B is what most of us use for reverse).   These conditions would seem unlikely in a sailboat.   I’m certainly no expert, but maybe it is worth exploring.

Our boat has a Westerbeke W52 with the same transmission and no oil cooler.  Your boat is newer so maybe the design was changed.

Bill Kroes
NS 36 #24
Canatara
Sarnia, Ontario

Sent from my iPad

Bob Gehrman

Jun 17, 2024, 2:32:05 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bill -

My NS30 has the same transmission but no cooler. The manual calls for one with engines over 34hp:
image.png

Mark Powers La Reina 26C Vancouver, B.C.

Jun 17, 2024, 2:44:33 PMJun 17
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
This should be  a link to Westerbeke parts. As usual the incredible standard of Westerbeke parts i reflected in the unbelievable prices.  https://www.westerbeke.com/category/HEATEXCHANGER-HBWTRANSMISSIONCOOLER/5399ADA2DAF73A26740BFFEC

The parts don't look like they are unique to Westerbeke so you might be able to pick them up some place else. You will just wont to confirm the type of metal you are dealing with.

This one from Groco might work if it is the straight nipple you need.

Mark Powers

Bob Gehrman

Jun 17, 2024, 3:20:27 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark!

I didn't think to look at Westerbeke's site but that looks like exactly the one! Better yet, I was assuming that the nipple was a part of the casting but from the part photo it looks like it must have been a threaded nipple that broke off. Hopefully I can just remove the old nipple and save the casting.

- Bob

Joe Valinoti

Jun 17, 2024, 5:52:04 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I agree that the cooler is not necessary.  I have seen them on W-27s but mine does not have one.  Just bypass the cooler and go sailing.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA