Repainting topsides

Barry Connell

Jun 17, 2024, 5:22:31 PMJun 17
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Thinking it's time to repaint my topsides. Has anyone had experience with a New England yard that can Awlgrip my N36?  And what should I expect to pay?

Don Crossley

Jun 17, 2024, 10:14:41 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

I'd say the most important factor is the time and care taken to prep the hull for painting.
Don

On Mon., Jun. 17, 2024, 2:22 p.m. Barry Connell, <envir...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thinking it's time to repaint my topsides. Has anyone had experience with a New England yard that can Awlgrip my N36?  And what should I expect to pay?

Mike Jennings

Jun 17, 2024, 11:31:20 PMJun 17
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Chancy’s previous owner had a son who was a painter. He painted the hull and the topsides. I had the paint stripped off the hull and the gelcoat polished. That was all that was needed.

My job for this spring was to do something with the topsides. He had used Kiwi Grip on the cabin top, deck and cockpit sole. It seems to work  well but he did a poor job. My plan is to do the job properly which will be a lot harder than doing it right the first time. As for the rest, I am still undecided. Unfortunately a broken shoulder set me back a couple of months so I have nothing to repot yet.

All the best.

Mike Jennings.
NS005C Chancy.
Port Moody, BC.

Don Crossley

Jun 18, 2024, 1:29:23 AMJun 18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Also, consider previous posts by Spiro who had a poor painter, resulting in a bad paint job. He ended up suing the painter.
Don

John Jenkins

Jun 18, 2024, 6:04:48 AMJun 18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Glenna and I bought our N36 "Captain Haddock" in Rockland two years ago. She had been donated to the Maine Maritime Academy and they spent most of the money to update "Duette" in painting the hull. Beautiful job by Johanson Boatworks near Rockland, though might be pricey. We bid and got our boat when they dropped the price. Peter Johanson is the yard owner. 207-596-7060. Painted our hull America's Cup Blue.. so many compliments on it!!

John and Glenna Jenkins
Captain Haddock
N36 #4
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

Ernie Abugov P/O NS22 o/b #56 "Moustaches"

Jun 18, 2024, 8:20:34 AMJun 18
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
When it comes to a fussy and exacting job like Awlgripping 36' of Nonsuch, I think that, generally, you'll get what you pay for. And the cost difference between spectacular and .... uh .... not quite so spectacular would be about the same as a really nice weekend trip with your squeeze or two rainy days, at home, cleaning the garage. And you'll be able to appreciate the "difference" for years down the road. Evidence ?? The note from the Jenkins above.

If I was having my boat professionally painted, I'd do LOTS of due diligence and, likely, go with a pricier painter (with a sterling reputation). They don't have a sterling reputation for nothing and the results will show for years.

Ernie A. in Toronto

Thomas Haar

Jun 18, 2024, 1:13:12 PMJun 18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Brown’s Boat Yard in Guilford, CT, repainted my non-Nonsuch 37’ sailboat a year ago with Awlgrip.  Looks great and cost about $14k.  Not cheap, but I like the yard, the communications, and the great job they did.  Good family business.

Thomas Haar
Guilford, CT

On Jun 17, 2024, at 5:22 PM, Barry Connell <envir...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thinking it's time to repaint my topsides. Has anyone had experience with a New England yard that can Awlgrip my N36?  And what should I expect to pay?

Dorothy Salusbury

Jun 18, 2024, 1:13:16 PMJun 18
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I had the whole topside, cockpit, sides, woodwork, etc. refinished over the winter on our Nonsuch 30 by a mechanic/handy guy who does lots of work for club members. He had refinished other boats in the club in previous years. Cost was $8 k cdn. Fabulous job, looks new You get what you pay for, good luck!

Dorothy Salusbury
Cathartic
Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club
Toronto Canada