RE: Wolter water heaters / engine heated water

Bill Baxter

Mar 28, 2019, 10:36:29 AM3/28/19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Persistence came with a broken Wolter (heating tubes had been split open by frozen water).  I silver-soldered the tubes and got a few years out of it, but in due course it opened up again – I obtained several discarded units for parts and tried to nurse it along, but the age of the parts became an issue.

I then installed a Volvo hot water tank that heated water from the engine and from AC at the dock.  It worked well, but engine heat did not seem to bring it up as well as the AC – I needed to run well over an hour to get it hot for a shower and the dishes, and by morning at anchor it was tepid.  But MUCH better than nothing.

When the Excel 1.6 gpm heaters came along I installed one in the same mounting area as the Wolter, and vented it using the existing vent.  Some issues with draft (would not stay lit), but I added a fan (like the Wolters had) and that helped a lot.

I then integrated the two systems so I could use the tank water (more reliable for showers!) when available and switch over to the demand water when I am sitting at anchor. I am pleased with the option, but not sure I would have gone to the engine heat had the Excel been available.

Bill Baxter

Persistence NS30 #507

Penetang, ON

Mar 28, 2019, 1:09:18 PM3/28/19
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Bill, what fan did you use. I would like to install one on my Excel. Wasn’t sure which fan could take the heat.

Tim,
La Reina came with a Wolter water heater. It died of old age and I replaced it with an Excel. The Wolter uses an igniter instead of a pilot light. When the tap is opened and water starts to flow the igniter is activated and the propane valve opens. Once a flame is lit the igniter shuts off. They require a chimney that is to be a minimum of 12” or 16” tall. I can’t remember which. If the chimmey is too short a back drag can put the flame out. I believe this is why later versions had fans installed. I believe there was an explosion with a Wolter and a subsequent law suit that ended the company.

There may have been an individual who serviced and provided parts for them for a while afterwards but I believe he is no longer in operation.

The Excel is similar in concept to the Wolter but it also has an oxygen depletion sensor that will shut the system down. The Excel is called ventless but I don’t believe insurance companies will accept a ventless system on a boat. I used the vent from the Wolter and added a CO detected in the head where the heater is installed. The surveyor ok’d the setup and my insurance company has accepted it as well.

I don’t think there is any doubt that the engine and AC heated water tanks are safer than the propane fired on demand heaters. I believe as my Excel heater is set up it is as safe and maybe a bit safer than the old HilleRange stove and oven that came with the boat. The Stove does not have a thermocouple sensor so if the flame goes out the propane keeps flowing. The stove would not be approved for installation today but it is “grandfathered”. The oven is worse because it confines the propane and it is harder to see if the flame has gone out.

Mark Powers
La Reina 26C
Vancouver, B.C.

Bill Baxter

Mar 28, 2019, 1:51:29 PM3/28/19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

The plastic fans certainly cannot take the heat inside the unit (don't ask). I ultimately used a small (yet noisy!) 12V computer-type fan wired just outside, underneath the outboard aft corner and wired it up to the circuit originally used by the Wolter to energize the igniter. Creates draft right up thru the unit.

It means I have to flip the 'blower' switch at the panel near the companionway every time I want to use the Excel -- have been looking for a small 12v surface mounting switch (with no luck) at RV and auto parts places so I can energize the bower at the galley.

Bill
Persistence NS30 #507
Penetang ON

Apr 1, 2019, 1:19:02 AM4/1/19
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Bill,
If I understand correctly you are blowing air up through the heater rather then sucking it up on the exhaust side?

I had thought of trying a bilge blower fan in the exhaust stack but thought it might not stand up to the exhaust temp.

Thank you.

John Alexander Stewart

Apr 1, 2019, 6:49:28 AM4/1/19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I've got an Excel propane water heater on our (new to us) NS26C. From reading the manual, it appears that one requires "active ventilation" in the boat, which we don't have. Again, from what I've been reading, a solar/battery powered vent in the head would do well in this regard. There is no need for a steel vent connected to it directly.

Just my novice opinion/thoughts.

John/NS26C Kingston ON.

Bill Baxter

Apr 1, 2019, 10:06:23 AM4/1/19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Hi John,

You may well be right – but when it comes to CO I take a belt-and-suspenders approach. Most Excels are installed where a vented water heater was previously installed, so venting is easy. In my case, I added a small computer fan underneath the Excel housing to help with ‘active ventilation’.

Bill Baxter

Persistence NS30 #507

Penetang, ON

Bill Baxter

Apr 1, 2019, 11:07:36 AM4/1/19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Yes, I am blowing it up from the bottom left front corner with a small 12V computer fan wired to the grill. I did this to improve draft, as at times the heater would not stay lit. I also got a 12" stack extender that I can install if conditions persist and the heater gets persnickety. But for the most part, the little 12V fan does the job reliably.

I bought a range of fans, some much larger, to try in the stack, but I found the fried results inedible.

Bill
Persistence NS30 #507
Kingston, ON

Apr 1, 2019, 11:37:54 AM4/1/19
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested in my 1990 Wolter and willing to pay shipping, its yours, free. It has been in my garage for two years. First come first served.
Can be picked up in Connecticut.

Bob Hindle
Jenny
NS 33 #60 1990

Greg Doyal

May 21, 2020, 5:01:35 AM5/21/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Bob,

I'm replying to your post from last spring regarding an old Wolter unit sitting in your garage. Is this still available? I just commissioned my new to me 30U and the Wolter heater is leaking. It appears to have been repaired numerous times before by resoldering the tube joints so a replacement seems like a better option. If your old Wolter is still available and in good condition I'd give that a try before purchasing a new Excel which sounds like the recommended new replacement option by most.

Thank you,
Greg Doyal
NS30U #516 Challenge
Grosse Pointe, MI

Joe Valinoti

May 21, 2020, 11:08:20 AM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Greg: Consider going to an engine driven unit. I have a lot of info if
you're interested.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

May 21, 2020, 11:55:57 AM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
As I have before I'll second Joe's recommendation of a marine water heater.
Those propane heaters on boats are more dangerous than COVID-19.
You won't see propane water heaters sold at Defender. West Marine or other marine parts and pieces suppliers.

Ward Woodruff
N33 #8 Margery
Niantic Bay, CT

Robert and Diane Hindle

May 21, 2020, 12:57:32 PM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Greg, I tossed it when I insulated the garage last winter,
 That said, I do have some comments about propane HW heaters. In September 2018 the old Wolter was getting fussy and I decided to replace it with an Excel.I decided to have the yard install it, mostly because I didn’t want to deal with  propane. The first time we tried to use it it wouldn’t light and after a few attempts the bilge exploded in my face. It turned out a faulty installation job, nothing to do with the heater unit. So it all led to an investigation by two opposing insurance companies and a detailed examination by two marine fire  inspectors, fascinating I might add. They all knew other and had many stories to swap back and forth. Apparently this type of event is far more common than I imagined. I’m no expert but when they disassembled the nearly new unit, which was not damaged, they were not impressed. I don’t feel I should say too much as a layperson but I ended up getting an engine heater. I did contact the local, well respected marine propane dealer and received a scolding like I was a kindergarten student, “There is no place for a propane hot water on a boat”, he said as though only a dope would ask.
That’s it.

Bob Hindle
Haddam Connecticut

Jenny
1990 NS33 #60

Mark Powers

May 21, 2020, 3:43:41 PM5/21/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I find the discussions about propane water heaters interesting.

We know that propane on boats creates hazards. 1: Propane is explosive and it is heavier than air so if there is a leak it will sink in to the bilge where a spark can ignite it an cause a fire and or explosion and  2: Burning fossil fuels produces CO which in high enough concentrations can be fatal. Properly installing, maintaining and using the propane appliances will reduce the risks. Proper installation includes CO detectors and propane sniffers.

Hot water heaters that run off of a heat exchanger from the engine cooling system are clearly safer than propane fired systems.

Adding 110V shore power to a boat to heater water introduces a hazard as well. The primary hazard is electrocution. Properly installed, maintained and used the risk is very low but still present. I do believe the risk is lower than from propane.

Many of us have propane fuel stove and ovens on board. The hazards from propane are the same whether it is used to feed a water heater or a stove. Some people install on demand propane fired water heaters in the head on the boat which is generally a smaller space than the galley. The head will require proper ventilation. The propane solenoid should be shut off except when an appliance is in use. The head door and port should always be open when the heater is in use.   This increases the risk of CO poisoning. Some people further will take a shower in the head with the door closed while the propane heater is running.  This creates a smaller confined space and a greater hazard.

I am hoping someone can explain to me why a properly installed, maintained and used propane water heater creates a greater hazard than a properly installed, maintained and used propane stove or oven.

Many years ago, I think in the 70's or early 80's an attempt was made to use natural gas fired instead of propane on boats. Natural gas is lighter than air so rather than collecting in the bilge, natural gas will usually rise and exit the boat through open ports or the companionway. Therefore there is a lower risk of explosion. I believe the attempt failed because it was too difficult to find places to refill the natural gas tanks.

Ward,
 are you related to a Gary Woodruff that races sailboats on Niantic Bay?   https://www.theday.com/article/20150813/SPORT04/150819629

Mark Powers
LA Reina 26C
Vancouver, B.C.

John Alexander Stewart

May 21, 2020, 4:07:35 PM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mark;

I did purchase a propane detector, with its' own automated propane shutoff valve, and 1 remote propane sensor.  It can handle 3 in total.

These boats were built in a time when detectors were not common. When done, we should have propane, CO, and fire alarms. (the fire extinguishers were refilled last spring for our first outing; they were 10 years out of date)

Now to actually get down to the yard to install them; not likely for a few weeks. :-| (boats' still in the shop, no guests allowed in - COVID-19 restrictions. C'est la vie)

JohnS
NS26C, 046,
souped up with a new Beta 20,
Kingston ON.

Paul Miller

May 21, 2020, 6:36:43 PM5/21/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
I agree with Mark that a properly installed propane demand water heater (particularly a newer model) should be no more dangerous than your propane range.
Both Mark and I have the Excel heaters which are several steps ahead of the old Palomas that were originally installed in (many, most, all?) our boats.
They have oxygen sensors to detect depleted air quality and they are piezo ignited by water pressure drop instead of having a pilot light. If they don’t light, they shut down the gas.
I have been around boats and marinas my whole life and have only seen one serious propane incident personally. It was caused by a coincidence of several negligent actions. I have heard of and witnessed many more fire/explosion situations from gasoline but there is almost always negligence involved.
For me the bottom line is that It is the negligence that is the dangerous part.

Rant over....

Paul M
NS30U #211, Sandpiper
Cowichan Bay B.C.

Ward Woodruff

May 21, 2020, 6:53:36 PM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Gary Woodruff is my son.  I used to race Ensigns too; for almost 30 years.  The Ensign is a great boat.

On the topic of propane water heaters, the manufacturer's instructions usually indicate, "Do not install this product on a boat."

Unlike a propane range, the water heater can operate without much supervision.  The original ones were drafthood vented appliances.  Drafthood vented appliances require 5' of vertical vent above the flue outlet of the appliance to reliably vent .  You can't get that height on a boat.

Ward Woodruff
N33 #8  Margery
Niantic Bay, CT

Katmando

May 21, 2020, 7:28:48 PM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Every cruising boat should have a propane detector, CO2 detector and a smoke detector.  Mine actually has more than one of each type for redundancy..

Would not leave the dock for an extended cruise without them..

Cheers

Brian McCuaig. NS30u, 262
Whitby, Ontario

Having a yacht is reason for being more cheerful than most." -Kurt Von.negut

Bob Gehrman

May 21, 2020, 7:58:24 PM5/21/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
The Excel advertises its suitability for sailboats FYI.

I installed mine over the winter and it’s amazing. Of course, you must install a propane detector in the bilge and CO detector.

I had a hood made to tie it into the charlie noble rather than venting into the cabin. FWIW, the Excel fits perfectly in the spot of my old Rinnai. Same bottom bolts, same piping connections, same locations. It heats up and delivers hot water in less than 10 seconds.

Thanks,

Bob Gehrman
NS30U #396 "Quickbeam"
Baltimore, Maryland
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to INA-Nonsuch-Discussion-Group+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
0EF9D18F-CC4D-42BE-9533-0E4F3ACAC6C3.png

Joe Valinoti

May 21, 2020, 8:54:35 PM5/21/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Just one comment about adding 110V to a boat.  I thought all of our boats, at least from the 26 up, come with that standard.  Also, when I went to the engine heated water, I gained storage space and another vent.  BTW, I’ve never had to come back out of the shower and turn on the hot water that I’ve forgotten.  (Photos available)

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:43 PM

Peter Moodie

May 22, 2020, 12:48:37 AM5/22/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
BTW, I’ve never had to come back out of the shower and turn on the hot water that I’ve forgotten.  (Photos available)

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

Hi Joe,

For a moment I was wondering if I had jumped into another forum, like Cruising Anarchy!!!!

Peter Moodie
Nonsuch 30U Catalyst #366
Sidney, BC/Winnipeg, MB

Joe Valinoti

May 22, 2020, 9:17:05 AM5/22/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Peter:  We were discussing propane (have to light) vs engine heaters which are just there when you need them.

Joe

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 12:48 AM

Paul Miller

May 22, 2020, 10:28:35 AM5/22/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
For the record, you don’t have to light Excel heaters and they do give you hot water in the morning or after a day at anchor without running the engine.
To each his own I guess.

Jim Cosgrove

May 22, 2020, 10:57:02 AM5/22/20
to sandpip...@gmail.com, INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I can’t speak to the safety or lack of it as it concerns the original hot water heaters, especially those mounted the heads of classic models.

But I think my Excel mounted in the galley is far safer than the oven. The oven can run for a long time—up to an hour, is unvented, and has only a thermocouple as a safety feature. My Excel has no pilot light and runs for seconds at a time—only while water is flowing, has an oxygen depletion sensor, and is vented.

Of course all propane appliances need to be treated with respect. We also have a sniffer alarm connected to the solenoid and a CO monitor. And we keep the propane turned off in the locker when we’re not actively using it.

Anyway that’s my logic behind my assessment of relative risks. Everyone has to make their own assessment and choices. Stay safe.

Jim Cosgrove
FATE 30U#343
Galesville MD

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/INA-Nonsuch-Discussion-Group/5e490ff3-ac02-4176-ac80-29f992a93e76%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Moodie

May 22, 2020, 1:51:51 PM5/22/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Sorry Joe, I just sensed a fragment of potential humour there and did not mean to derail or offend.

Peter

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 8:17:05 AM UTC-5, Joe Valinoti wrote:
Peter:  We were discussing propane (have to light) vs engine heaters which are just there when you need them.

Joe

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

Joe Valinoti

May 22, 2020, 2:16:00 PM5/22/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Peter:  Are you sure you don’t want the photos??

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/INA-Nonsuch-Discussion-Group/ae382451-e9f8-4509-a9b6-5655d962f670%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Powers

May 22, 2020, 6:03:03 PM5/22/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Gary,
Ward,
does this mean your son can sail faster than you?
The Ensign never seemed to catch on out in this area. The Thunderbird was the small keel boat of choice in the Pacific Norhtwest. Most likely because, like the Ensign, it is also a great boat and had the added benefit/attraction of being designed out here.

The Excel water heater only has a flame and propane flowing when the water is running. As soon as the water is shut off the propane flow is cut. We generally only run it for a couple of minutes while the sink is filled. The cook top we will run for up to 1/2 hour. If the flame goes out on the stove the propane keeps flowing. The old Paloma and Bosch heaters used pilots lights which some people would leave on. That was a very bad idea. I don't know if they had a thermocouple to shut off the propane if the pilot went out.

The vent stack height can be an issue. I no longer have the manual for the Wolter heater but it specified a stack height which was not easy to achieve. The Excel does not seem to need as much to work properly but active ventilation is a good idea. In some instances the wind will blow down the stack and the oxygen depletion sensor shuts the heater off.  I don't have a Charlie Noble on La Reina. Paul Miller has one on Sandpiper and I believe does not have a problem with back drafts.

Joe,

when I got La Reina she did not have 110v shore power. I added it when I installed refrigeration. Actually I had a licensed electrician install it. I figured 110 v could kill someone if it was installed incorrectly.  Whether the 110 was installed by the owner or the factory does not change the fact that 110v on a boat introduces a hazard.  The following showed up in my email from Practical Sailor this morning. It has to be taken with a grain of salt since they are trying to sell a book about installing 110V power on a boat. However, It is interesting given our current (pun intended) discussions.

"What's the Single Most Dangerous Thing You Can Do With Your Boat?
Some say "Pull into a dock and plug in."

Combine AC, shore-based current with some stray DC current and you have a dangerous mix. And, in a marina, the problem is often difficult to see, isolate and remedy. "
Insurance companies and surveyors don't seem to agree with this sentiment. For the most part they do not have a problem with properly installed 110v shore power but many of them will not accept propane water heaters.

I don't believe you regarding the pictures being available. If it didn't happen you could not have pictures. If you have pictures than it did happen and thank you for not posting them. We need to maintain some level of decorum in this group.
Like Paul Miller we like to sit at anchor for a few days at a time. We don't need to run the engine to charge the batteries so with only a heat exchanger running off the engine we would not have hot water on the second day without the Excel.

Mark Powers
La Reina 26C
Vancouver, B.C.

Peter Moodie

May 23, 2020, 1:27:12 AM5/23/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group

Greg Doyal

May 23, 2020, 8:02:02 AM5/23/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Joe,

When you say engine driven unit are you talking about a 110VAC unit with a engine heat exchanger? I would appreciate seeing what you have done on Il Gatto.

Thank you,
Greg Doyal
NS30U #516 Challenge
Grosse Pointe, MI

Greg Doyal

May 23, 2020, 8:35:38 AM5/23/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Paul,

I too tend to agree with you and Mark. Once the decision is made to have propane on the boat then adding additional appliances is no more dangerous than the first. With the safety devices integrated into a water heater I would also argue that it is safer than a stove/oven. To me the important issue is to fully understand the system and where it is vulnerable. Once the solenoid is opened you have gas inside the boat and every hose and fitting is a potential problem. The good news is that hoses and fittings are designed to be extremely reliable so problems can be mitigated with regular inspection. Challenge is equipped with a propane detector, CO2 monitor, and smoke alarm which I think are mandatory if you are cooking or heating water or heating the cabin. Tragically we had a friend of ours killed while he was cooking dinner in his oven onboard. There was a leak between the solenoid and the oven and it allowed propane to leak into the cabin floor.  Once he opened the oven door the propane ignited and he was badly injured and sadly passed away days later. Since that horrible accident everyone at our club has installed propane detectors with sensors near the cabin sole if the boat was not already equipped. Running the blower is also a good idea.

The reasons I am considering keeping the on demand water heater is twofold. It's my hope after retiring to spend extended time in the North Channel and mostly on the hook. My experience with engine driven units is that after an hour of running the noisy diesel there is only enough hot water to wash dinner dishes and a quick shower for one person. With the boat holding nearly 90 gallons of water the idea of unlimited hot water seems like a good idea.

Thank you all for your input.

Greg Doyal
NS30U #516 Challenge
Grosse Pointe, MI

Joe Valinoti

May 23, 2020, 8:57:43 AM5/23/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Greg:  My Force 10 engine driven heater gives us at least two showers and water for the dishes.  If not used, it will last at least 24 hrs.  When I get underway, it takes about 15 or 20 minutes and I’ve got hot water.  At the dock, it takes less then 10 for scalding water.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

May 23, 2020, 10:25:20 AM5/23/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
My experience in the North Channel for the last half-dozen years has vindicated my decision to reinstall a demand water heater  (Excel 1.6 GPM).  Years ago, when my repeated attempts to repair/replace my Wolter 300 failed, I installed a Volvo hot water tank, engine/A/C driven, but found it took at least an hour of hard running (1800 rpm or better) to get piping hot water - good for 24 hours maybe, dishes only. I like the flexibility of staying put for an extra day or two on the hook in all the anchorages I have discovered and still having hot water with no engine running.  So having a dual system that can switch between the two hot water sources has proved useful. But the Force 10 heater Joe Valinoti mentions sounds interesting.

Bill Baxter
PERSISTENCE NS30 #507
Penetang, ON

Paul Miller

May 23, 2020, 10:32:07 AM5/23/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
You are right about the safety devices Greg and redundancy is a good thing too. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here yet, and may have been a contributor to your friend's tragic accident, is the old practice of joining propane lines inside the boat. Many (all?) Nonsuches were built with a tee joint under the floor so the water heater and the galley stove could feed off the same line. Sandpiper had this when I bought her in 2018. How many surveyors had approved her in 35 years?
She now has three separate lines to the Excel, the range, and the cabin heater that each run back to a manifold in the locker (which now drains properly).

Paul M
NS30U #211, Sandpiper
Cowichan Bay, B.C.

John Alexander Stewart

May 23, 2020, 10:45:00 AM5/23/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Paul;

Good point about the Tee inside the cabin.

On our boat, in the propane locker, there's a manifold with three ball valves, so one can also shut off each appliance when propane's on.
    - oven
    - old line for CAT heater (plugged at locker shutoff valve; no heater present)
   - Excel water heater.

It's all done by someone who knows what they were doing; that's reassuring.

John A. Stewart
NS26C 046
Kingston ON.

Ward Woodruff

May 23, 2020, 12:13:51 PM5/23/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Mark P.,
Gary only sails faster than I when he has perfect crew.
Ward Woodruff
N33 #8 Margery
Niantic Bay, CT

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2020, at 8:02 AM, Greg Doyal <gregor...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/INA-Nonsuch-Discussion-Group/eb658475-f0e6-4708-99f3-b9f722ad258a%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Powers

May 23, 2020, 12:35:56 PM5/23/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Ward, good to hear.

Bill Wickett EX-22 #38 Makin' Time

May 27, 2020, 2:58:28 PM5/27/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Joe, any particular makes you would recommend?

Joe Valinoti

May 27, 2020, 3:18:07 PM5/27/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Any particular Joe, there are several of us.

Joe Valinoti
S/V iL Gatto NS30U #221
Sea Harbour YC
Oriental, NC USA

~~~~~(\_ ~(\_ ~(\_~~~~~~~~~~

May 27, 2020, 4:37:09 PM5/27/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
It’s okay, Joe Valinoti, I see your post farther up about the Force 10 you have. BTW, you are the only Joe in this subject thread. 😁

jim falcon

May 27, 2020, 9:21:56 PM5/27/20
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Another very happy and safe Excel hot water heater user here.

I won’t repeat all of the qualities and features except to say that problems with any fuel and electricity are more often than not found to have human error as its source. IMHO we all know that simply stepping on to a boat has its inherent dangers. And that danger is minimized, in part, through proper installation, use and required detectors of all marine systems. New propane hot water heaters are no exception. In return for that attention to safety they provide much more than a day or two of on demand hot water with no pilot flame or tank.

Best Regards,

Jim Falcon
Ballybay NS30U #357
Warren, RI

> On May 27, 2020, at 4:37 PM, Bill Wickett EX-22 #38 Makin' Time <bill...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It’s okay, Joe Valinoti, I see your post farther up about the Force 10 you have. BTW, you are the only Joe in this subject thread. 😁

Mark Powers

May 28, 2020, 1:06:20 AM5/28/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
As an alternative, if I was starting from scratch and with a big bank account I would pull the propane off of the boat and install a diesel fired hydronic cabin and hot water heater (see link below) and a Wallas stove top for cooking. Warm boat, instant hot water, and cooking all without the risk of explosion. Unlike Captain Mike I already have a Diesel engine so would not be adding diesel aroma.

https://www.pysystems.ca/resources/tech-talk/whats-hot-in-onboard-heating-systems/

Mark Powers
La Reina 26C

Vancouver, B.C.

Ernie Abugov N22 - #56 "Moustaches" Toronto

May 28, 2020, 9:11:31 AM5/28/20
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
This looks like a wonderful set of components from a company that presents itself in a classy and informative manner. A good read, indeed. Very interesting, Mark.

Thanks !!

Ernie A. in Toronto