Berth dimensions and heaving to

Jim Johnston

Dec 17, 2014, 10:10:06 PM12/17/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all

a newbie here interested in the 26 & 30 Classic and Ultras as a prospective buyer. While there is a lot to know about these great yachts, at this stage I am most interested in learning about the interior dimensions of the Classic and Ultra models of both the 26 and 30, and especially the berths.

So are there Nonsuch owners out there who can supply the width, length and height restrictions of these berths and especially for the double (couple) bunks.

The sailing question that I wish to ask is with regard to heaving to. How do you do it with a cat rig? I come from many years of sloop rig where heaving to meant back-winding the jib, slacking the main and tying off the wheel to counteract the jib. What do you do with a Nonsuch?

thanks all

Jim

Jonathan Ostermann

Dec 18, 2014, 8:55:22 AM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

I have a 30C. Both berths are twin size, with the starboard berth being a twin plus or maybe a small double. Two people will fit but it is tight. I am trying to come up with a engineered way to connect the two forward salon benches to make a queen plus sized berth. I know some folks have done this, but I have not seen any pictures.

I have never heaved to in my boat, so I cannot help you there.

Good luck on your search.

Jon Ostermann
HARMONY NS 30C #120

Island_Moose

Dec 18, 2014, 12:38:54 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
I live on my 30U. The forward double is ample for two (this is theoretical mind you 😉), the starboard single becomes a large double with the drop table and the port single is long enough that at 6'2" my feet can't reach the aft bulkhead under the nav table.
You can't heave to on a catboat, avoid getting caught in storms.

Island_Moose

Dec 18, 2014, 12:41:39 PM12/18/14
On Friday, 19 December 2014 06:38:54 UTC+13, Island_Moose wrote:
> I live on my 30U. The forward double is ample for two (this is theoretical mind you 😉), the starboard single becomes a large double with the drop table and the port single is long enough that at 6'2" my feet can't reach the aft bulkhead under the nav table.
> You can't heave to on a catboat, avoid getting caught in storms.

Sorry...

John
NS30U#400
Tauranga NZ

Jack Dokter

Dec 18, 2014, 1:18:04 PM12/18/14
to ina-nonsuch-discussion-group
Hi Jim,

I own a 26 Classic, and during the winter we have a fantastic opportunity from close friends to cruise on their 26 Ultra.  I stand at 6'2".  I don't have any height restrictions except I only wish the bunks from any vessel was at least 2 inches longer than the standard 72" they provide.  But if I lay crossways, I'm fine.

As for longer cruising  adventures, we seem to be partial with the Classic layout.  It just works out better for us. And, there seems to be a few more logical storage areas with the Classic.

 But if your a person that loves tinkering with your engine, transmission, and drivetrain (like I really and truly do) then the Ultra is a better choice as I can easily drop in from either companionway hatch and work comfortably inside, even with a person my size.  This is the area where the Classic gains interior space for the two starboard quarter berths.
 I somehow managed to slide inside my Classic engine compartment a couple of times, but Lord is it tight.  Not a place to be if your claustrophobic.

Jack Dokter
Nine Lives, 26C W21 099
Penetanguishene, On

Jim Cosgrove

Dec 18, 2014, 1:41:33 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,
As others have noted, I do not believe you can heave-to on a Nonsuch.  However, you should be able to forereach.  I have not had the need to try it so others might chime in, but here is the description from Beth Leonard:

"Most boats forereach quite comfortably under just a mainsail, so it’s easiest to start with this tactic when experimenting with your own boat. Generally speaking, you can forereach on one less reef than you would use for sailing in the given conditions. To forereach, the main should be sheeted to the centerline and the helm locked in position to hold the boat close-hauled. Start by locking the helm amidships and see what happens. If the boat falls off to a broad angle and just
keeps sailing, you need to turn the helm more to windward. If it gets in irons or tacks through, you need to turn the helm a bit to leeward. You’re forereaching when the boat jogs up to windward, the sail starts to stall, and the boat falls off to leeward and starts sailing again. In addition to slowing things down, forereaching is a perfectly acceptable storm tactic so long as the waves are not breaking.  "

I have some photos of my 26C set up with the queen size double berth forward.  I'll see if I can find them and post them tonight.

Jim Cosgrove
FATE 30U #343
Galesville, MD

jhba...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2014, 2:12:32 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Jim
I have a 26 Ultra
Here are two Nonsuch brochures which give dimensions for the 26 Ultra including the berth sizes.

John
NS26 advertising specification 1988.pdf
NS26 Brochure 1984 .pdf

Reg Coombs

Dec 18, 2014, 5:18:02 PM12/18/14
to ina-nonsuch-di...@googlegroups.com
Jim
I own a N26C and have a family of four, two young boys, the Admiral, and myself. We enjoy week long excursions around the east coast of Newfoundland. The N26C is very big for its length, strong, well built, and stable. The cat rig is not designed to heave to, so if you find yourself in a position, drop sail throw a droge off the bow and hope for the best. From my research I found the classic is designed with a family of four in mind and the ultra is more a couples cruiser. The N26  have more room than most 30ft boats that I was ever aboard, The N30 is very big, the N33 is enormous, and the N36 is just a monster!!!  <(¤¿¤)>

Hope this helps

Reg Coombs
"Summerwind"
1985 N26C #171
St Jones Within
Newfoundland

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 19:10:06 -0800
From: jimjohns...@gmail.com
To: INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Berth dimensions and heaving to

Jim Johnston

Dec 18, 2014, 7:25:13 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all who replied. Clearly there is a passion amongst owners for their vessel and I learned a bit about "forereaching" a term previously unknown to me.  However, I didn't see any "numbers" for width of bunks, in particular, although the brochures sent indicate that one bunk is "wide".  I guess at this time of the year, I shouldn't expect anyone to climb into their boat to measure a bunk. If you happen to know that off-hand please post it.

thanks again and cheers

Jim

Jim Cosgrove

Dec 18, 2014, 7:55:18 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
Not sure if the three photos below will show up, but here goes anyway.  In a standard Nonsuch classic, the forward port berth pulls out to make a "double"  In the 26C I had, it was really pretty tight for two people.  (I think it was only about 44 inches wide --that's going from memory, don't hold me to it.)  On my boat, however, the previous owner had attached simple cleats to the port and starboard settees.  He then made a plywood piece that would span the gap between the extended port berth and the starboard berth and covered with a custom shaped cover.  That resulted in a HUGE berth that spans the width of the cabin.  (When not in use the plywood piece fit under the cushion of one of the settees.)

In my boat, I had to remove the table to set this up.  But, if I had kept the boat I would have simply modified the table so that it folded down and stored under the berth.  I cannot imagine you would find a berth this large on a boat much, much larger.

I loved the 26C, it was a great boat.  Now have 30 ultra.

Good luck, sorry I do not have the dimensions for you offhand.

Jim Cosgrove
FATE 30U #343
Galesville, MD

John Morrison

Dec 18, 2014, 7:59:00 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
On a 30U, the port single is 6'8" x 2'5", the starboard double is 6'8" x 4'7" and the forward double is generally 6'8" x 4'7" again, though it's ever so slightly curved.

John
NS30U#400
Tauranga, NZ

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jonathan Ostermann

Dec 18, 2014, 8:03:06 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim Cosgrove,

Thanks for the pics! I really want to try this on my 30C. Do you have any pictures of the cleat and plywood attachment. Do you remove the table or just lay it on its side under the bed?

Has anyone else done this?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Jon
HARMONY NS-30C #120

Jim Cosgrove

Dec 18, 2014, 8:13:33 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jon,
I'll look, but I don't think I have any pics.  However, the set up could not be easier.  The "cleats" were just lengths of quarter-round molding screwed to the teak trim on the settees.  (One cleat on each side, ran the length of the settee.)  The plywood piece made from 3/8" plywood (slightly wedge shaped) just lay on top of the cleats on both sides.  The custom cushion was the exact same shape as the plywood filler piece and the same thickness as the existing cushions.

My table had to be moved, but some Nonsuches came with tables where the legs folded and it would be easy to modify a non-folding table to do that.  That was my plan.  There is also a drawing of a different table modification in the Nonsuch handbook that would also work.

I think this is one of the huge advantages of the classic layout.

Jim

Jim Cosgrove

Dec 18, 2014, 8:29:36 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jon,
I found some pics that might help.  You can clearly see the quarter-round molding that is screwed to the teak trim on both the settees.  Then (once the table is removed) the plywood filler piece just rests on the cleats to span the gap.  Hope this helps.
Jim

Jonathan Ostermann

Dec 18, 2014, 8:36:42 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Thanks. The 30C doesn't have a pull out, but it should still work. I think 3/8 (maybe go up to 1/2 due to the wider span) should be sufficient with out sagging or bending too much.

I may have a new winter project.

Regards,

Jon
HARMON NS-30C #120

Jim Cosgrove

Dec 18, 2014, 8:44:58 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jon,
I'm surprised, I was sure that I had been on a 30C with a pull out port berth, so I assumed they were all like that.  I know I've seen several 30Cs with the folding (camel) leg tables.  Why else does the table fold if not to accommodate the sliding berth?  Just to make it into a coffee table?  Now I'm curious.
Jim

Jonathan Ostermann

Dec 18, 2014, 8:56:55 PM12/18/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

My '81 30C does not pull out. I do not have a camel table, mine is similar to yours but the leaves raise up to be even with the center piece not overlap it.

I am also gawking at your cabinet doors under the benches. I like those. On mine I need to raise the cushion and the plate to get to that rather nice storage area (great for my flippers, goggles, and snorkel.

Regards,
Jon

Rob Powers

Dec 22, 2014, 1:58:56 PM12/22/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
We have a 1982 26C. The forward settee both pull out and can be used as slightly larger singles as seen in some of the photos already sent or come together for one large bunk. We do not have the bifold door but use a curtain to close of the forward bunks and a separate curtain to close off the galley.

Sorry I don't have any pics now.

This has worked well for my wife and I if we have company.

Rob Powers
Respite 26C #50

Mark Powers

Dec 28, 2014, 12:18:49 PM12/28/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
On the 26C the standard length for all of the berths is 76". There was some variety in the widths as far as I can tell. On La Reina the port side quarter berth is a single and measures 28" at the head and 23" at the foot. The starboard side is sometimes referred to as a honeymoon double. It measures 37" at the head and 27" at the feet. I don't have head room measurements for under the cockpit seats for the bottom half of the quarter berths. Getting into the berths is fairly easy, getting out is a bit more of a challenge. Many owners have added shelves to the foot of the berths or slide out chart tables near the head to the head room can vary as well. My sense is that the 26 has more head room in that area then does the 30 classic. This was due to the 30 having larger fuel and holding tanks and lower cockpit seats. I believe the 30 berths are wider.

The forward starboard berth measures 30" at the head and 21 1/2" at the foot. The port side measures the same but with differences. Some of the boats came with a drop down panel at the seat back which added about 3" to 4"  of shoulder and hip room. Many of them also had an extension built into them as you can see from the photos. On La Reina the berth extends to 35" at the head and 27 at the foot. A previous owner had put a second extension in that made the berth even wider but that was removed.

La Reina had the cabin table removed before we got her. This makes movement below much easier. We have a fold down table that we keep in the forward locker for when we need it. We have a full cockpit enclosure and live in the cockpit so we almost never use the cabin table.

Mark and Nesta
La Reina 26C
Burrard Civic Marina
Vancouver, B.C.

Jim Johnston

Dec 29, 2014, 1:12:27 PM12/29/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark for the definitive measures.  It's interesting to note that the 26 has that extra space over the 30C

Jim

Jim Johnston

Dec 29, 2014, 4:39:15 PM12/29/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
John

by "starboard double" do you mean the main cabin "settee"? And does the width of 4'7" include a drop down table to form a bed platform?  I am looking at the schematic drawings of a 30U and trying to imagine a re-arranged cabin.  The forward double is easy to understand.

thanks

Jim
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to INA-Nonsuch-Discussion-Group+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel Andrew

Dec 29, 2014, 5:02:50 PM12/29/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com

Jim,
Berth length was a critical factor for my dad (6'4") and me (6'3") when we purchased our 30C last spring.  The 30C forward berths are 6'6" and the quarter berths are 6'5" long.  Sorry I don't have measurements for the width but I find all four comfortably wide without any extensions.  We found none of the berths on a 30U were long enough for us.

Regarding the ability to heave to, I spent alot of time this summer sailing the boat single handed and experimenting with the rig in lots of conditions.  I found simply easing the sheet and lashing the helm slightly to weather resulted in the boat comfortably heaving to about 30 - 40 degrees off the wind.  I tested this in winds from 5 - 30 kts with equal success.   I now heave to this way whenever I need to put in or shake out a reef.

Good luck,
Dan

S.V. ALEXANDER
30C #137
Magothy River, MD

John Morrison

Dec 30, 2014, 1:45:24 AM12/30/14
to INA-Nonsuch-Di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the table drops down and the shelf aft of this slides forward to make quite a large double.