Diver comments

Brian Godfrey

Jun 19, 2024, 3:32:49 PMJun 19
to Nonsuch Owners Email Group
I pay a diver to clean the hull and inspect everything below the waterline monthly.  He also changes zincs as needed. Most of the boats in the marina do this so the divers can work efficiently and the cost is not as bad as the cost of neglect.  It's one of the few instances in San Diego boating where it feels like I get my money's worth.

I happened to be arriving at the boat this morning right after he changed my prop shaft zincs and he gave me one of them to see for myself.  I'm glad he changed them. I will attach a photo.

He changes the shaft zincs every 4 months and the one on the Gori prop every 3 months.

I talked to him about what is or isn't "normal", etc.  He said that boats vary widely, but my zinc depletion is about normal for San Diego. He knows what abnormal looks like and will tell me if he ever sees it.

He said the Gori is a big prop which is why it goes through zincs faster than the shaft.

He also emphasized that these are very nice boats and worth maintaining. I might have thought he was just selling himself but for two things: I overheard him saying something similar to his assistant in a kind of teaching moment; and every professional diver I've known has been a pretty no-BS type of person.  Something to keep in mind when old boat maintenance starts to get you down.
-- Brian Godfrey
20240619_121447.jpg

Ernie Abugov P/O NS22 o/b #56 "Moustaches"

Jun 19, 2024, 3:45:37 PMJun 19
to INA Nonsuch Discussion Group
Keep this diver, Brian.

Ernie A. in Toronto