Re: Indiana mayor orders city remove social media posts celebrating Pride: report

Smart Mayor

Jun 5, 2023, 8:55:03 PM6/5/23
On 16 Dec 2021, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com> posted some
news:tCJuJ.187034$IW4....@fx48.iad:

> Get those damned queers on cattle trucks and haul them off to the
> landfills. Dump them in and cover them up. Don't even waste a bullet
> on them.

The mayor of an Indiana city ordered a Pride month post on official
Twitter and Facebook accounts be taken down because the city "should not
engage in supporting a social agenda," the Indianapolis Star reported.

The city of Westfield posted an image Thursday to its social media
accounts that read, “We talk about the Westfield Way and how it sets us
apart. We are committed to being a welcoming and safe community for ALL.
Happy Pride Month, Westfield.”

Within a day, the message had been deleted. the Star reported.

The image's removal invited backlash from residents, including the co-
founder of Central Indiana's Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network
(GLSEN), Brian Ayers.

"It made me sad," Ayers said. "To see an inclusive message and to see it
almost immediately taken down was disheartening."

Speaking to the Star, Mayor Andy Cook said Westfield “will always
recognize our diverse population,” but that he felt “strongly that
government should remain neutral on these social issues.”

“The City of Westfield’s Communications Department created a social media
post on Thursday recognizing Pride Month,” Cook stated. “Upon further
review, I feel the city should not engage in supporting a social agenda,
and as such, I directed the post to be removed.”

https://www.rawstory.com/andy-cook-westfield/