Comparison Between Magento and Oscommerce

Phil

Apr 18, 2010, 1:54:34 PM4/18/10
to In-Portal Marketing Team
Hello guys,

here is an interesting post :

http://blog.templatemonster.com/2010/04/12/magento-beats-oscommerce-comparison-research/?utm_campaign=newsletter-2010-04-17&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

what I learn here is :
- magento is more powerfull but, as I tested myself, is very much
resource-consumming

- oscommerce is still very easier to design

- you can see in comments the result of these 2 things: people look
about Total Cost of Ownership

I personnaly think that In-Portal have the best of both worlds, as you
can see comparing the features in this article: our features are very
likely same as Magento (or even better), and our themes are very
likely as easy to code as oscommerce (or even easier).

The result is we surely have a better TCO, but now it's time to proove
it :)

Anyone have a good knowledge on how to calculate it, taking all
parameters in consideration?

Phil.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 18, 2010, 7:38:36 PM4/18/10
to in-portal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting this - sounds very interesting and I think we can learn quite a few things from this article.

I'll be checking it in details during next week and will be posting here again.

Anyone else is welcome to REVIEW and POST his thoughts here too.

Cheers!

DA.

Phil

Apr 21, 2010, 3:33:05 AM4/21/10
to In-Portal Marketing Team
Hi Dmitry,

I'm glad you like this view, I think MAG and OSC are our direct
competitors.

Would you like to help me creating a ROI/TCO calculator? Here is an
interesting article about that, it could help for bigger projects :

http://www.slideshare.net/Extendance/how-to-create-tcoroi-calculator

Phil.

On Apr 19, 1:38 am, Dmitry Andrejev <dandre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Thanks for posting this - sounds very interesting and I think we can learn
> quite a few things from this article.
>
> I'll be checking it in details during next week and will be posting here
> again.
>
> Anyone else is welcome to REVIEW and POST his thoughts here too.
>
> Cheers!
>
> DA.
>
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Phil <p...@wbtc.fr> wrote:
> > Hello guys,
>
> > here is an interesting post :
>
> >http://blog.templatemonster.com/2010/04/12/magento-beats-oscommerce-c...

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 22, 2010, 8:37:52 AM4/22/10
to in-portal...@googlegroups.com
I am for it.

Guide me through and explain what I have to do!

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 24, 2010, 3:45:03 PM4/24/10
to in-portal...@googlegroups.com
well, this is not so hard to do in fact, here is an clear and good example:

  Magento Commercial App
Software Free $199 / mnth
Support (Monthly - Avg 2 Hours) $200.00 / mnth - Limited
Included - Unlimited
Installation and Set Up (Hosting + Software)
$249.00 / one time Included
Hosting $49.95 / mnth Included
Security (SSL) $149.00 / year Included
Updates and Upgrades
 $149 / Each
Included
One Time Fees  $647.00 $499 Set Up
Monthly Fees  $249.00 $199.00
TCO Over One Year  $3,635.00  $2,887.00

as I don't know the new support pricing rules I let you fill in the right column.

I think we could detail it with sublines as follow:

Software
software licence
addons prices
setup fee

Support
technical support

Setup
software
design integration
payement gateway integration cost (most solutions ask $ for any CC setup)

Hosting
server setup, monthly fees, backups fees... all related server costs (most of the time it's just 1 price for all services)

I propose to do a bigger table with 3-4 competitors, I'll add some french ones in my version.

Phil.