Location of Clean Cache (system/cache/clean.sh) script

Dmitry A.

Apr 4, 2010, 10:23:08 PM4/4/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Hi team,

I had to do clearing of Templates Cache and was going to system/cache
folder to execute the "clean.sh" script while 2 things crossed my
mind:

1. Why do we keep "clean.sh" within system/cache folder while it's a
clearly a Utility and should be located under tools/ folder where it
belongs?

I see the following benefits with moving it there:

a. all utility scripts should be moved to 1 location (ie. fix_perm.sh
and so on)
b. don't have to have anything within system/cache folder that can NOT
be deleted
c. shorter path to reach the script in ssh when typing.

2. Why not to give a better name once it's in tools/ folder - I don't
think "clean.sh" is self explanatory by any means

I propose - "clear_cache.sh".

Let me know what you think.

DA.

Dmitry A.

Apr 4, 2010, 10:27:55 PM4/4/10
to In-Portal Development Team
I have 2 more things to add which are cross related:

1. I would MOVE tools/.htaccess to ROOT of installation.

Why?

a. most of people installing In-Portal NEVER know where to
look .HTACCESS so when it's in the right place from the step one - we
have one thing less to explain about considering there is NO harm to
the system even if ModRewrite is Off.
b. we need kind of need to protect tools/ folder with it's
own .htaccess so NO other then PHP files can be executed (minor)

DA.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 4, 2010, 11:14:47 PM4/4/10
to In-Portal Development Team
One more thing related to the same Clear Cache script.

Also, why NOT to add option to Clear all Templates Cache under Admin->Tools->System Tools section?

Technically it should be the issue since all Files/Folder were created under Apache or whatever Web-server user and can be deleted the same way as were added?

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 4, 2010, 11:23:22 PM4/4/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I strongly agree, cron tasks will become the A.I. who keeps in-portal
in a clean state and good working conditions.

About .htaccess, of course I agree too, as this is the first action I
perform when I install In-Portal.

p.

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 5, 2010, 5:15:34 PM4/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
About "clear.sh" I agree, and it was named without "cache" in it's name, since it is located in "cache" folder.

Also, why NOT to add option to Clear all Templates Cache under Admin->Tools->System Tools section?
This is already done, option is named "Delete Compiled Templates".

About ".htaccess" I also agree.

Need to create task for all that stuff.
--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 5, 2010, 6:42:18 PM4/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
well, I've learned something more, the meaning of "Compiled templates"...

In fact there are many new thing which are not obvious in v5 and are not documented, where can we perfectly learn about the entire product functions?

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 5, 2010, 6:50:04 PM4/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
When you found something new, you document it somewhere and then merge all notes together to create proper user documentation, because we don't have up to date version right now.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 5, 2010, 6:55:21 PM4/5/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
ok, should I create a new post in localization or somewhere else? still no official Wiki...

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 6, 2010, 3:44:34 AM4/6/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Phil, how localization is related to moving and renaming some files?

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 6, 2010, 8:50:52 AM4/6/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I was replying to your message where you said "create proper user documentation"

Should I post questions in groups, or can we start working on documentation directly?

2010/4/6 Phil -- wbtc.fr -- <ph...@wbtc.fr>
create proper user documentation,

Alexander Obuhovich

Apr 6, 2010, 8:53:49 AM4/6/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
You should start new discussion about that as Dmitry always says and keep this discussion clean and on topic.

Dmitry Andrejev

Apr 6, 2010, 8:55:27 AM4/6/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

It a bit too early to work on French Documentation for Developers since we don't have English fully completed yet. Besides it a lot of work and not as easy as you think. I think community would love to see more themes first and then French version of Technical document since in most cases English is sufficient.

What Alex meant is that we'll be documenting it in English first.

DA.

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Apr 6, 2010, 9:44:14 AM4/6/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dmitry,

I was thinking about english documentation at least, even in English we don't have any hints.

P.

Dmitry A.

Apr 9, 2010, 12:33:31 AM4/9/10
to In-Portal Development Team
Task is filed:

685: Moving .Htaccess and Cache.sh files to more suable location

http://tracker.in-portal.org/view.php?id=685

DA.