Subscribe to Newsletter Checkbox on Registration Step

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 2, 2010, 7:04:00 AM12/2/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

it could be good to have a checkbox on registration step, which permit user to subscribe to newsletter at the same time.

Your opinion?

Phil.

Dmitry Andrejev

Dec 2, 2010, 11:33:16 AM12/2/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, it doable and not too hard, but need to decide if user can:

1. Manage this new check-box afterwords in his Profile, or have to unsubscribe or subscribe via regular side-box functionality.

2. Admin can manage this via User Record or it's better leave it as User Group management (when Admin needs to add/remove user from Subscribers group).

I personally think 1st one should be YES (allow to manage subscription status) and 2nd NO (keep it as is so Admin has to work via Add/Remove groups).

--

Best regards,

Dmitry A.

Dmitry Andrejev

Dec 2, 2010, 12:15:27 PM12/2/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I personally find it pretty useful and easy to do since completed this back in a day

Here is a proper patch (against 5.1.1) + task for this:

944: Ability for Users to subscribe to mailing during Registration

NOTE that change is minor, but still marked as Feature Request so for now will be put in Future.

Please test (Alex too) and let me know if looks good.

Cheers!

DA
Ability-for-Users-to-subscribe-to-mailing-Registration-CORE.patch
Ability-for-Users-to-subscribe-to-mailing-Registration-THEME.patch

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 2, 2010, 1:31:03 PM12/2/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Ok, as I see you've just reused code, that we already have for user subscribing.

Seems, that you've imagined this feature same way I did:
  • Front-end user will have "Subscribe" checkbox on user registration form and on my profile pages
  • No changes in Admin Console

Dmitry Andrejev

Dec 2, 2010, 2:09:28 PM12/2/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is exactly how it was done.

DA

Phil -- wbtc.fr --

Dec 3, 2010, 4:56:20 PM12/3/10
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
thank you guys for this fast move on this !