Show un-deployed revisions in "System Tools" section

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 21, 2012, 4:03:19 AM12/21/12
to Development In-Portal
Section "Tools -> System Tools" have 2 buttons in it related to deploying process:
  • Synchronize - marks all non-deployed revisions deployed without actually deploying them (useful for revisions made by yourself, because it's SQLs are already executed manually)
  • Deploy - deploys revisions, imports language pack and rebuilds all sort of caches

However what if developer forgot to click on Synchronize button before doing an update from VCS and now have a mix of un-deployed revisions from his own and other developer made revisions.
In such situation clicking on Deploy button will most likely cause SQL error if not worse.

I'm proposing to add more intel on "System Tools" page and display following:
  • Revision statistics (e.g. "Deployed 5 of 10 revisions")
  • List of not yet deployed revisions
Usually developers visit "System Tools" section at least once during task development and they will surely see that some revisions are required to be deployed. However they don't see if these revisions are made by them and are not yet commited to VCS or they came from other developers via VCS update.

Any ideas/suggestions?

--
Best Regards,

http://www.in-portal.com
http://www.alex-time.com

Phil

Dec 21, 2012, 6:09:46 AM12/21/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
idea: each revision line could start with a checkbox, so developer could manually synchronize or deploy chosen ones :)

Envoyé avec Sparrow

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 21, 2012, 6:47:03 AM12/21/12
to Development In-Portal
Nice. Then interface will look like:

=== New Revisions ===
[select all] [select none]
[x] r41: #task_number1 - task description1
[x] r45: #task_number2 - task description2

=== Synchronize ====
description
[button]

=== Deploy ===
description
[button]

Text in "===" and "===" is heading. And we need to update description to tell, that only checked revisions will be affected by the Synchronize/Deploy button.

Phil

Dec 21, 2012, 7:00:44 AM12/21/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest:

=== VCS ===
[select all] [select none]
[x] r41: #task_number1 - task description1
[x] r45: #task_number2 - task description2

[Synchronize button] (?) --- [Deploy button] (?)

with button action description hinted in "?". Why? Because admin read this once (or twice) in his life, so why wasting space with these infos?

Envoyé avec Sparrow

Dmitry A.

Dec 23, 2012, 3:07:00 PM12/23/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Great idea, a few comments about listing new revision:

New Revisions
[select all] [select none]
[x] r41: #task_number1 - task description1 (add ">" option to see actual SQL below by expending it)
[x] r45: #task_number2 - task description2

In other words, I would add an option to see actual SQL below by expending it below.

Also, I think we should auto-select all check-boxes since in 90% cases we do them all at ones (will save 1 click) either Synchronize or Deploy and rarely need to hand pick, but also can happen.

DA

Phil

Dec 23, 2012, 3:21:31 PM12/23/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
good idea to add sql details, as well as having all checkboxes validated by default.

Envoyé avec Sparrow

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 23, 2012, 4:32:52 PM12/23/12
to Development In-Portal
With current layout I doubt we can fit all sqls there without extensive text wrapping.

Also what about moving excessive description above synchronize/deploy buttons that Phil recommended to move to hints?

Dmitry A.

Dec 24, 2012, 1:01:38 AM12/24/12
to in-por...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

1. We can overcome wrapping with showing SQLs (for each revision) pre-formatted (as we do for Email body in Email logs) so it's easier to ready, but again it will be collapsed by default and you only expand it if needed.

2. Yes, I think we can move Descriptions for both Deploy and Synchronize buttons into some sort of Hint element and have buttons sit next to each other so save some space.

Please comment.

DA

Alexander Obuhovich

Dec 24, 2012, 7:28:43 AM12/24/12
to Development In-Portal
I don't exactly understand how "some soft of Hint" looks like. Can you please rearrange elements on attached screenshot to make it look like we plan to see it after changes?

Also I've noticed at least 3 errors in descriptions for Synchronize/Deploy buttons.
project_deployment_521b1.png

Alexander Obuhovich

Jan 7, 2013, 3:38:20 AM1/7/13
to Development In-Portal
Maybe we also need to display synchronized revisions the same way (but without SQLs) we display deployed revisions.

Without it right now it's pretty hard to understand what happened after button was clicked.